Problem with GUI login on Ultra 45

I have a Sun Ultra 45 that was working perfectly until i upgraded it to Update 9 with a zfs filesystem. The box is sparc based and has an internal video card. When i boot it up, i receive an X server error and, while checking /var/dt/Xerrors, the following message is displayed

Fatal server error:
InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb
XIO: fatal IO error 146 (Connection Refused) on X server ":0.0"
         after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

error (pid 749): Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly 1
The loadable module for the display device SUNWnfb is not installed. 

I've checked for the SUNWnfb package and it is indeed installed on the system. Are they any ideas on how to fix this problem?

---------- Post updated at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:14 PM ----------

Also, when i do a ls -l on /dev/fb this is the output:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 Feb 10 22:43 /dev/fb -> /devices/pic@1f,700000,XVR-300@0:nfb0

have you checked for partially installed packages? was "pkginfo -p" if i remember right... also have you installed the latest patch-cluster after the installation? maybe the error is a bug un u9 and a patch will fix this... if nothing works, i would try a new installation (maybe on another disk) for testing and see if the fb is running.

I ran the pkginfo -p command and the system returned nothing. I also started the OS reinstallation last night, before leaving for the day and it finished up. After rebooting the system this morning the issue remains.

and a patch update with latest patch cluster didn't fix the problem?

I'm negotiating through the Oracle/Sun webpage maze :mad: now trying to find the correct link to the cluster.

i've found the patch clusters here:
https://support.oracle.com/CSP/ui/flash.html\#tab=PatchHomePage(page=PatchHomePage&id=()),(page=PatchSearchResultsHome&id=(from=bookmark&search=<Search> %20%20<Filter%20name="product"%20op="IS"%20value="17450"%20type="product"/> %20%20<Filter%20name="release"%20op="IS"%20value="400000180000,400000190000,4000001100000"%20type="release"/> %20%20<Filter%20name="platform"%20op="IS"%20value="453,23,173,267"%20type="platform"/> %20%20<Filter%20name="patch\_type"%20op="IS"%20value="patchset"%20type="patch_type"/> %20%20<Filter%20name="description"%20op="CONTAINS"%20value="Critical"%20type="description"/> </Search>&flag=search))

I'm on the phone with an Oracle engineer and we've ran through several checks and it appears that there was a good install, all of the packages are there with only one non-essential package that was not completely installed. He initially thought that it was an error with the mouse or keyboard not being plugged in correctly, but i've replaced and reseated both and they seem to be working fine.

the latest patch cluster wasn't any good?

I didn't get that far. My sunsolve account did not have permissions to download the cluster so i called Oracle/Solaris instead and opened a trouble ticket.

---------- Post updated at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 AM ----------

This is a known bug, CR6996317.

The root of cause is a typo in i.server for kfb.
The SUNWkfbw has a typo which will remove the entry of nfb in OWconfig if kfb package is installed after nfb package.

The fix will be included in s10u10 b4. Sustaining is still thinking if it is possible to release a patch for
s10u9.

So, you need to use the work-around listed in the bug.

All you need to do is:

# pkgrm SUNWnfbw
and then
# pkgadd SUNWnfbw

nice!