Problem with Console Connection

I'm having a problem establishing a console connection between a V240 and a V440. I verified and re verified the connection was in the correct places.

Commands:

# tip hardwire
connected

Nothing happens after that. Other V440's work fine with the receiving the connection. Is there a setting within the OS that would prevent me from establishing a console connection?

do you use the correct port? is your config (/etc/remote) file for the "hardwire" connection configured correct?

I re re re verified it is in the correct ports. The /etc/remote file looks like this:

cuab:dv=/dev/cua/b:br#2400
dialup1|Dial-up system:\
        :pn=2015551212:tc=UNIX-2400:
hardwire:\
        :dv=/dev/term/b:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
tip300:tc=UNIX-300:
tip1200:tc=UNIX-1200:
tip0|tip2400:tc=UNIX-2400:
tip9600:tc=UNIX-9600:
tip19200:tc=UNIX-19200:
UNIX-300:\
        :el=^D^U^C^S^Q^O@:du:at=hayes:ie=#$%:oe=^D:br#300:tc=dialers:
UNIX-1200:\
        :el=^D^U^C^S^Q^O@:du:at=hayes:ie=#$%:oe=^D:br#1200:tc=dialers:
UNIX-2400:\
        :el=^D^U^C^S^Q^O@:du:at=hayes:ie=#$%:oe=^D:br#2400:tc=dialers:
UNIX-9600:\
        :el=^D^U^C^S^Q^O@:du:at=hayes:ie=#$%:oe=^D:br#9600:tc=dialers:
UNIX-19200:\
        :el=^D^U^C^S^Q^O@:du:at=hayes:ie=#$%:oe=^D:br#19200:tc=dialers:
VMS-300|TOPS20-300:\
        :el=^Z^U^C^S^Q^O:du:at=hayes:ie=$@:oe=^Z:br#300:tc=dialers:
VMS-1200|TOPS20-1200:\
        :el=^Z^U^C^S^Q^O:du:at=hayes:ie=$@:oe=^Z:br#1200:tc=dialers:
dialers:\
        :dv=/dev/cua/b:

If you modify /etc/remote is there a reload command for it? Or do you have to reload the operating system?

try to use this:

hardwire:\
        :dv=/dev/term/a:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:

after the change you don't need to reload any service... or reboot the server.

Nope, that line did not work.

ls -latr /dev/term
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          48 Sep 15  2005 a -> ../../devices/pci@1e,600000/isa@7/serial@0,3f8:a
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          48 Sep 15  2005 b -> ../../devices/pci@1e,600000/isa@7/serial@0,2e8:b

a problem could also be the wrong cable...

I just tried the a new cable. Still no go. Could two different servers with the same Serial Management PCI be set to use different cables?

is /etc/remote for outgoing or incoming?

Is it possible that the incoming server is set to use a different bit rate (other than 9600) Would all of this information be found in /etc/remote or would some of it be found somewhere else?

Thank you all for your help.

---------- Post updated at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:35 AM ----------

Google is not yielding any results. Anyone have any idea?

Try these COM1 port settings:

* Bits per second: 9600
* Data bits: 8
* Parity: None
* Stop bits: 1
* Flow Control: None

I'm going to use a Dell C600 laptop an an example. The laptop has a 9pin serial port at the back that corresponds to Serial port 1 (SER 1). In other cases you need first to verify that you're "speaking" to the correct port (you can do this using for example serial mouse and disconnecting your current mouse).

Using windows terminal you can use VT-100 or better.

You can connect to Sun server that has no keyboard or display attached anytime. sometimes you need to press enter one of two times to see the output. You can disconnect anytime by disconnecting cable (do not close you terminal).
Using Tip

Note: tip is available in SFU and Solaris /etc/remote can be used with it. Connect the appropriate serial cable from serial port on laptop (usually serial port 1) to serial port A on target Sun system.

Use "tip hardwire" (not "hardware") to open a connection to the headless box before booting it: From a Solaris shell prompt on the local system, issue the command:

tip hardwire

OR

tip ser1

Notes

* This is "tip hardwire" \(not "tip hardware"\).
* ser1 should be defined in  /etc/remote \(see below\)

hardwire is defined on Solaris in the /etc/remote to use port B (for laptop you need to correct this or add another line, see below):

cuab:dv=/dev/cua/b:br\#2400
dialup1|Dial-up system:\\
        :pn=2015551212:tc=UNIX-2400:
hardwire:\\
        :dv=/dev/term/b:br\#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
tip300:tc=UNIX-300:
tip1200:tc=UNIX-1200:
tip0|tip2400:tc=UNIX-2400:
tip9600:tc=UNIX-9600:
tip19200:tc=UNIX-19200:
UNIX-300:\\

If you need to connect from serial port A you need to modify this entry in /etc/remote or better add another entry, for example ser1 :

ser1:\\
        :dv=/dev/term/a:br\#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:

After tip session established you can boot the server. This tip session should be kept active as long as server remains online.
You should be connected. Press enter a few times to see if you are getting a response. If you are not, check your connections and make sure you have the right cable.

From within tip, you can access a tip menu by pressing ~? after a carriage return. To quit the tip session, press ~. and to send a break character, type ~#

To send a break character, type ~#

Thank you incredible for that post, but I already have read through that site.

I examined the /etc/remote file. I even tried rebooting the box while having the console connection established. I'm going to try to go from laptop to server via console cable and hyperterminal.

I also tried to edit the eeprom to output to mydev and input to ttya.

The V440 uses a PCI card for the Serial Management connection, is it possible that the board isn't see the PCI card or isn't set up to use it?

Thank you for all of your help!

---------- Post updated at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:07 PM ----------

I tried to reverse what I was doing. I tried to tip hardwire OUT of the box I could not console into. This is what I see:

# tip hardwire
tip: /dev/term/a: Permission denied
all ports busy

Permissions look fine. I compared them to another box. I checked both /dev/term/a and the link to /devices/pci!1e,600000/isa@7/serial@0,3f8:a,cu

I checked the processes for an existing tip session, nothing.

Don't know if I'm going the wrong way with this. Any thoughts?