Problem setting up CD-ROM drive

Whenever I click the [Mount CD] icon on the SCO desktop, I get an error stating the following:

Cannot stat '/dev/cd0' no such device or address (error 6)

After looking around for a bit, it seemed like I just needed to run mkdev cdrom to setup the CD-ROM drive. I checked the BIOS settings to get the information I needed to get through the installation process. The device is listed as follows in the BIOS:

Controller: Serial ATA
Port: SATA-1
ID: HL-DT-ST CD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-H10N

From that information, I ran mkdev cdrom and selected ATAPI. At this point, I've gone through the process setting the CD-ROM as both a master and a slave on the primary controller. Both times, I relinked, restarted, and got the same error when trying to mount a CD.

As you can probably surmise, I'm a bit out of my element here. Am I missing something? Am I trying to setup the CD-ROM drive using the wrong type? Just for kicks, I selected SCSI one time, and it started asking all kinds of questions that I had no idea about. Advice online indicated that the BIOS settings would contain those settings, but what I listed above is the only information available regarding the CD-ROM drive.

Also, each time I tried installing the CD-ROM drive and rebooted, I ran hwconfig, but there was never an entry on the list that seemed to correspond to a CD-ROM device.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If I need to provide more information, just let me know.

Does the motherboard have parallel ide ports. If so, and you are not using them, disable them, and set the sata to legacy ide in the cmos.
If you are also using the ide ports then you need a driver for the sata controller.

That did it. Many thanks!