Problem relocating to another state with Shutdown

How are you, good afternoon, I do not speak and I do not write in English, and I'm iniciandome in unix / linux on my own, I am using the google translator, my question is this, know what are the shutdown command to change user State:

# shutdown -y -g0 -i0 (completely off my system)
# shutdown -y -i1 (switch to single-user state)
but when I switch to another state like 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 can not, I get a message as follows after executing the command, for example:
# shutdown -y :(-i2 get the following message
shutdown: 2: bad runlevel

I checked those states and in my / etc / inittab.
Thank you for your response, good passing day.

Could you run the following command and paste the result ?

uname -a
1 Like

#uname -a
Linux pc01 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 03:33:56 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Check if you have the command telinit and the syntax of it

man telinit
1 Like

Yeah,

Synopsis
/sbin/init [ -a] [ -s] [ -b] [ -z xxx] [0123456Ss]
/sbin/telinit [ -t sec] [ -0123456sSQqabcUu]

I'm trying but I get some help?

Could you run the following command and paste the result ?

who -r
runlevel
1 Like

`run-level' 5 2012-11-02 15:26 �ltimo=S

---------- Post updated at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:17 PM ----------

I am learning using a UNIX manual 1995, that's why I'm using the shutdown like this in the first publication, and perhaps that some errors are coming out because I'm using Linux Centos 5.4, you will have some manual Spanish I recommend, in fact I have to learn the English language, whether or if, thanks for your reply.
Now I have to go to school, thanks for your time, come back later, that Dr ctsgnb good day passes.

---------- Post updated at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:19 PM ----------

��.....??

See https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/Red\_Hat\_Enterprise_Linux/?locale=es-ES. RHEL documentation is available in a number of languages including Spanish. CentOS is built from RHEL source RPMs so this documentation is relevant.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer, I'll keep researching, learning, etc, I'll check that as page posted.
See you, hopefully over time I also can solve some problems in this forum, we contact you to spend nice day.