Problem mapping LUN disk from VIOS to the LPAR

Hello guys,
It would be so nice of you if someone can provide me with these informations.
1) My SAN group assigned 51G of LUN space to the VIO server.I ran cfgdev to discover the newly added LUN. Unfortunately most of the disks that are in VIO server is 51G. How would I know which is the newly added 51G?
SAN team gave me some information like: Host Lun# 86 and symmetric disk ID# 750.
How can I use these information in the VIO to pin-point to the right LUN.

2) I tried to map the LUN to the LPAR (pure guessing of the disk#), using
mkdev -vdev hdiskxx -vadapter vhostx
All I got as an output is:
"0514-070: Only disks that support multi-path I/O or which have a PVID may be used as a virtual target device"
and yes when I did lspv -free on VIO server the disk I thought is the one didn't have PVID number assigned to it.

Any help will be highly appreciated..
thank you.

hi,

1. depending on the type of SAN storage, usually the LUN id can be found with lscfg -l hdisk##

2. you can set the pvid like this: chdev -dev hdisk## -attr pv=yes

hope this helps

Randy

Here's what I do to find any hdisks that have been added to a VIOS or aren't assigned to a vhost. It's not pretty but it does the job.

Put the following into a script ( I called mine unused.sh ) and then chmod it. You have to create/run it as root because padmin isn't allowed to create files in it's restricted shell.

PATH=$PATH:/usr/ios/cli
echo "Creating list of drives not assigned to vhosts ..."
ioscli lsmap -all | grep ^Backing > lsmap.txt
for x in `lspv | awk '{print $1}' | grep -v hdisk0 | grep -vw hdisk1`
do
grep -q $x lsmap.txt
if [ $? -eq 1 ]
then
echo "$x"
ioscli lsdev -dev $x -attr | grep ^size | awk '{print $1" "$2"Mb"}'
fi
done

HTH!

quick question:

From my SAN i have allocated a disk to VIO Server and from VIO Server to my LPAR

If I increase the space of the logical SAN DISK ; how will it get reflected on the lpar ?

Do I need to varyoffvg the vG of LPAR, go to my VIO Server and use the command chvg -g ?

any ideas for online (without varyoffvg ?)