Problem in crontab

Hi All,

Am facing an issue while updating the crontab.Getting below error while updating the cron.

cron/tmp.XXXX5fXBR6: No space left on device
crontab: edits left in /tmp/crontab.XXXXEJX5gw

Is there any file where i need to alter using root user so that i can update the cron.

TIA
Ashok.

You should check with df if your filesystems are full, /var or maybe /tmp. And maybe increase them or clean up by moving, deleting or compressing, whatever suits your needs.

Hi

I have checked that too by df -h and the space consumed is very less on both /tmp and /var and also on other mount points as well.... is there any size limitation set for cron file such that it cant have more than xxxKB?????

Wherever that cronjob is putting the files, that directory is full. As Zaxxon says, either clean out old files or increase the size of the directory. I would recommend doing both.

Not sure what your cronjob is doing but if you want to edit and you have sudo rights you can run sudo crontab -e and that will allow you to edit your cronjobs. Be very careful in there, if you're not familiar with how to edit it you can mess things up.

*EDIT* Just noticed your reply to Zaxxon. How many cronjobs do you have running?

Totally 16 cronjobs for my user....

That isn't a lot...unless there are some weird scripts running.

*EDIT*

Did some research and found this link:

No space left on device - The Danesh Project

The person who wrote the article did a df -i. Might help with your issue.

Please post the exact version of Linux/Unix concerned.

Please check inode consumption.  You may have too many files.
df -i

If you have sar, please check basic kernel limits.
sar -v

Am gettin below result after "df -i"

Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/cciss/c1d0p1 524288 125394 398894 24% /
/dev/cciss/c1d1p1 8896512 198328 8698184 3% /mbbv
/dev/cciss/c1d0p5 2867200 22546 2844654 1% /oralog
none 385305 1 385304 1% /dev/shm
/dev/cciss/c1d0p2 5242880 21782 5221098 1% /var

Also PFB the version am using after "uname -r"

2 : Kernel version
4 : The major revision of the kernel
21 : The minor revision of the kernel
57 : Immediate fixing / bug fixing for critical error
ELsmp....

Linux gs-staging-01.broadbandscope.net 2.4.21-57.ELsmp i686

Are you missing a couple of volumes there? I don't see /tmp, /home/, /usr???

Sorry guys as i was looking at some other box.... i got the reason as /var has 100%... Thanks nixnoob for posting the link of Danesh project... it was really useful and now i have fixed the problem... Thanks everyone for sorting this issue..:b: