Printing Sterling Pound Sign

We need to print the sterling pound sign on printers connected directly to a terminal and configured using the /dev/null device.

We have used mapchan to enable this on the printers connected directly to the SCO server. Any idea how this can be activated?

Check to see if the character is part of the printer font set, and also see if it is part of the terminal character set, Then send that character to the terminal .
Rather than using mapchan, try sending the character as an escape sequence as in \0nnn where nnn is the octal value of the character.

The character exists in the printer font set, the pound sign is given as 0163 which works in Windows but in UNIX it only accepts 163 which is "�". If I can get an escape sequence that displays on the UNIX without mapchan then my problem would be solved.

Note that with the MAPCHAN I can view the pound sign on screen but It does not print to ttyp configured printers. It prints fine to the local printer connected to the lp0 port, but this only after setting the device locale to cons.858

Am I correct in assuming that you have the following hardware configuration:
A unix host accessed by a windows pc over a tcp-ip network using a windows terminal emulation program, and using some escape sequence to turn the printer on and off.
You could also try writing a program that sends each character to the printer.
Something like:

for i=32 to 255
print i; chr$(i)
next i

Jack

Yes that is the configuration, but we are using a utility called FTCopy that ships with an emulator called ice.tcp from jriver.

the syntax is

ftcopy -a <ip address of PC with printer connected> filename LPT1

Note that we are also having the same problem with a printer connected to a D-Linkt ethernet print server.

The issue we need to resolve is how to get sco to recognise the pound sign generically. Alternatively will be to set the /dev/null device as a listed device in the locale settings like /dev/lp0 appears.

Both of the printing methods you use are sending a closed file to some destination, you should be able to intercept the file, and using 'sed' change the value of the pound sign on the SCO side to whatever the printer likes before finally using ftcopy or lp.