Printing Problems in unix ... ( Bar-cdoe - Ip Printing)

Hi guys ...

i need ur help with some printing problem in unix ...

first prob. :
i wanna print from my NCR unix to an Win NT , Ip based printing server ( HP JetDirect ) .
My issue , is it possible to print directly to an Ip address from unix ?
How do i make it work to get any results ?
Do i need any special componnents ?

Second prob. :
Is it possible to print Bar-code from unix system ?
Does is require any program ?
Is there is any " Font " or something like that ?

10 X !!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Question:

If you are going to be printing to an HP JetDirect box, wouldn't that bypass NT and just use the lpd of the JetDirect box?

It is possible to setup lpd printing on a NT Box, IIRC. It's been a long time since I have had to do that.

As for barcodes. If your Unix box supports TrueType fonts you can download/purchase various barcode fonts. I have had great success using TTFonts for barcodes in the past.

With a google search you should be able to find various free fonts for simple stuff like Code39.

first of all , i wanna thank u 4 ur time !

I didnt get few things , how can i send a printing job from my unix system directly to the HP JetDirect Ip ??? my problem is to send a printing job to an Ip Address ... tell me what to do and i'll try it on my machine ...
Can u tell me some more about the configuring lpd printing on a NT Box, IIRC ?

Barcode issue ... :

can u tell me what should i do to check if my machine supports TrueType fonts ?

is there are any diffrences between barcode ? let my put it other way , is there are any diffrent types of barcode ?

tell u the truth , i'm doing some experiment on unix and dont have any budget to buy fonts ... can u send me some free fonts or gimme some like where i can d/l some of them ?

10X again !!!

`man lpr`

This should document everything that you need to know...

Using Google, I was able to quickly find these two resources:

http://www.technocopia.com/read-19991213-printlinux.html

What OS are you using? I am familiar with the XFS under XFree86.

There are a bunch of different types of barcodes for many different types of application. To learn more about barcodes/fonts/applications I suggest a Google search.