Printer Only Printing First Line

Hi all,
I've got this issue which has me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Printers which i have added through SAM, as remote printers with their IP address, only print the first line.
Any text file is sent through to the printer only prints the very first line of the file, and the rest is blank.
How do i fix this?
Cheers

Why as remote printers and not network?

Bill Hassell dixit...

Hi thanks for your reply.
Adding it as a network printer, using HP Jetdirect (which i'm not familiar with), it cannot piing the printer, using the network name nor the IP address.
Hence i had to use the Remote option as the it can actually ping the printer then.
Thanks.

Start again, remove the printer with sam, use the network printer option which will call jetdirect admin, but is it installed? do you have a /opt/hpnpl directory?

It will not ping the printer if the printer is not known : either it is declared in DNS either you add it in /etc/host
Then test you can ping the name (which can be different of actual... why give to HPUX a name of 16 char if you can renamed it here?...)

You could also configure by giving the IP but in this case you shoud not bypass:
If no reply on ping then check... and in last phase, that is just before validating the config, the name which should be at the time IPsomething can now be modified and given the proper name

Hmm, it's very strange.
I've tried adding the printer again, through sam and /etc/host file but it says it already exists. And i can ping the printer name outside of Sam. But adding the printer through HP Jetdirect (which is installed) it cannot ping the printer nor the IP address.

What should i check? i'm sure i'm missing something.
thanks.

Not on the same network? Are you being filtered?
JetDirect ports:9100, 9101, 9102

Yes, the printer is on a different network.
But how do i check if i'm being filtered or blocked?

If you can ping the printer through sam calling jetdirectPrinter Installer should also work...
Have you a printer on same network (next to you...) you can test with like creatin yet again the printer under another name and see what is happening?

Ufortunately, i haven't been able to find a similar printer on the same network. so i can't test creating a new print queue.

i'm thinking to just add the printer via the command line, but i'm unfamiliar with the lpadmin command to add a new printer. Could you help me with it? thanks!

Assuming the printer is correctly configured (may not be the case... so try to telnet to the printer it should give you a prompt...) you can

#/opt/hpnpl/bin/addqueue -h IP-address -q printer-name -L <num>

L: is the numeric the value of the model e.g.r if memory serves me lj4x is 7...

Hello,
in hppi laserjet4 (net_lj4x) is 47.

BUT !

Newer low cost models like CLJ2605DN are not working with hppi (jetdirect). Set up has to be done as rprinter.

Regards

i can telnet to the printer, using the IP address or the printer's name.
But adding the printer with the addqueue command, it came back saying it couldn't connect to the printer.
Ok, the best thing is to add the printer as a remote printer, but specifying another printer queue or setup to copy from.
Can you guys help to do this, as i've never had to add a printer via a command line, so i'm lost.
Thanks again for all your help.

You realize you will have (almost) no options recognized?

I wonder if its not worth double checking the lot by starting all from the begining if you agree:
Your host OS: hpux version?

Your printer: model? what is the jetdirect version

HPUX software now:
what do you have installed for Jetdirect: (use swlist...
e.g.

J4189-11001C              E.10.34        Hewlett-Packard JetDirect Printer Installer for Unix

Following bdittmar's remark
Newer low cost models like CLJ2605DN are not working with hppi (jetdirect). Set up has to be done as rprinter. Is this the case?

Here are some links for download and usefull documentation on adding new models:
Product search results
HP Jetdirect Printer Installer for UNIX - HPPI 10.34, Installing New Model Scripts - bpj07384 - HP Business Support Center
HP UNIX Modelscripts

Best regards

HP-UX 11i v1 (B.11.11)
Jetdirect E.10.34 software
Ricoh Aficio MP 3000

I've found other the exact printer model installed, as a network printer on the same network as the current printer i'm having trouble with. The thing is my predecessor installed it. And i don't know how he did it, and it's still working properly.
Is there anyway i can replicate the print queue, then modify to point to the printer i'm trying to re-install?

Since when Ricoh printers have jetdirect?
The only explanation I see is we were trying to configure a true remote printer as if it were a HP with jetdirect...
Unless you have this printer connected to a jetdirect box...

I will look what possibilities we have...
Till then
all the best
Perhaps some other may have some brilliant idea?

From thid doc it seems you may have some specific stuff to load (or what do they mean?)
http://www.coreprintsolutions.com/brochures/Ricoh/mpc2500-c3000-c3500-c4500.pdf
under Network/OS:

I just tried in my office and tested:

ant:/tmp $ /opt/hpnpl//bin/addqueue -q vbetst -h  160.53.12.110
vbetst added to spooler.
ant:/tmp $ lp -onb -olandscape -oc -olm8 -dvbetst /etc/hosts
request id is vbetst-5414 (1 file)

works...
I will now compare with the original...

ant:/etc/lp/interface $ diff vbetst lpvbe|more
5c5
< # $Header: /users/hpnp/odyssey/repository/sh/hpnp.model.psh,v 1.1.1.1 2001/10/15 19:15:34 
hpnp Exp $
---
> # $Header: /users/hpnp/odyssey/repository/sh/hpnp.model.psh,v 1.24 2000/07/10 12:29:46 hpn
p Exp $
122c122
< xPORT=""
---
> xPORT=
128c128
< DEVTYPE="PJL"
---
> DEVTYPE=""

all I found so far is:
http://www.coreprintsolutions.com/brochures/HP/WJA10\_WW_DS.pdf
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=13039&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=27905

I wonder if you should not download this soft on a windows platform and check the printers configuration...

I am experiencing the same problem with a twist. My customer is submitting jobs from HP UX to a Windows queue within a software from EFI (Electronics for Imaging) called MicroPress. The MicroPress is a PS RIP by default but has a PCL option that utilizes a local PCL print driver to pass the job onto the virtual engine. The MicroPress has virtual engines (queues) that allow for reprint and management of jobs.

If I bypass the virtual engine and print directly to my printer still utilizing the local PCL print driver, I get all the data. When I send the jobs to the virtual engine, only the first line is printed and the rest of the pages are blank. It looks as though there is no carriage return or something.

I am not a Unix guy, but my customer is looking to me for an answer since the jobs print fine directly to the printer.

Any thoughts?

Im not sure I understand your issue:
Is the printer configured on the unix server? and how?
What is this virtual engine stuff? on the HP box?

Is that: I print fine from my HPUX box what using lp command?