2 Child1    ANYIAM    GRACE        

*01647769* EGWUTUOHA
0 Principal   EGWUTUOHA    JANE               
1 Spouse      EGWUTUOHA    PAUL         

*01486442* NNAOBI
4 Child3     NNAOBI    TOBONNA           

*01486598* NELSON
1 Spouse      NELSON    ROPHINA

I want to print out lines between *02638650* and *01591453* using awk or sed.

That means my output should give:

1 Spouse    SAMBO    FELIX  

Thank you.

This may sound harsh, but you could not have been any lazier if you tried. We are here to help, at no cost to you, so why don't you take the time to explain your data instead of leaving your dump for us to decipher?.

Are those values constant? If not, how are they made avaialble? Are the records that begin and end inclusion always adjacent?

And, please, use code tags for sample code and data.

Regards,
Alister

Thanks.

The text file contain list of members of different families.
The first line for each family has the family identification number and lastname e.g

*02638650* SAMBO

The next line will list members of family that is registered e.g

1 Spouse    SAMBO FELIX

What i want to achieve is to print out the members of family that is registered and add their family identity at the end of the line. e.g

1 Spouse    SAMBO FELIX 02638650

Thanks a lot.

There is a huge difference between printing lines between two given strings and duplicating data found on the 1st line starting with an asterisk onto the ends of the following non-empty lines up to the next line starting with an asterisk.

Do you want to print selected lines or do you want to add data to the ends of selected lines?
How will your script be told which lines to select?

And PLEASE use CODE tags.

Actually what i intend to achieve is "duplicating data found on the 1st line starting with an asterisk onto the ends of the following non-empty lines up to the next line starting with an asterisk".

Thanks.

Maybe this?

gawk '/^\*/ { last[$2] = substr($1,2,length($1)-2); } NF && !/^\*/ { printf "%s %s\n", $0, last[$3]; }' filename

Wahoo!!!, worked like charm. Thanks cnamejjj. Don cragun appreciate you too.