Preventing Opera browser VPN

A fight against open-access I'm afraid.

Opera Software have published their latest browser boasting built in free VPN giving access past firewalls of countries, companies, education establishments etc.

Free VPN | Now built into Opera browser

As one on the other side of the fence trying to curb access because of users clobbering our public network connection and viewing 'inappropriate content', (i.e. site not work related, but in work and getting paid) including gambling, shopping, online auctions, games, social media, webmail, streaming services and the most popular sites, how can we lock it down? I know that there are tools such as Websense that try to keep up with published VPNs, but we haven't got that installed.

Is there a way to prevent it being enabled on the browser? I've seen before that Internet Explorer can have it's options fixed/greyed out according to company standard.

Obviously there are some business needs to have https access (which I think most VPN options use) to certain sites, but the list is vast.

Personally I'd prefer us not to install software we cannot control, but that seems too draconian, even for me. Installations may be on Windows, MAC, or Unix desktops.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated. I doubt that Opera Software will really want to share this.

Kind regards,
Robin

P.S. I hope you didn't try to click the most popular sites :wink:

We had to go to Websense to stop problems. And this was several years ago. We could not find any other solution that we could manage effectively.

1 Like