PLEASE PLEASE Help - Automate text manipulation process

I am trying to automate a process (on windows OS) of manipulating a file by changing its column delimiters. I have a perl script ready but the problem i think is with the format of the file itself.

code:
#! usr/bin/perl -w
foreach (<STDIN>) {

\#copy this line:
my $line = $_;

\# replace every tab with ^
while \($line =~ s/"\\t"/^ / \) \{ \}

\# remove double quotation marks
while \($line =~ s/"//\) \{ \}

print $line

}

Sample of the input file (one line of data)

"12722"    "New"    "Major"    "Unassigned"    "Computer Manager"    "Unassigned"    "4.1.1"    ""    "library"    "Bruce Borth"    "Jan 7, 2008 10:27 AM"    "Jan 11, 2008 1:50 PM"    "Unassigned"    "Library function does not have the ability to create a library without enabling it - Liraries do not depend on other lib messge missing details"    ""    ""    "Defect"

Sample output for the same line

12722 New Major Unassigned Computer Manager Unassigned 4.1.1  library Bruce Borth Jan 7, 2008 10:27 AM Jan 11, 2008 1:50 PM Unassigned Library function does not have the ability to create a library without enabling it - Liraries do not depend on other lib messge missing details      Defect

The only way of making this work is if i copy the original input file into a notepad2.exe and then saving it and running the perl script on that file. The problem is i need to automate this process.

Can anyone tell me what are these squares and why are they appearing?

Why not use a simple sed command:

sed -e 's/"\t*"/^/g' -e 's/"//g' FILE