Please Guide to bring my Server online

Hi Guys,
I want to bring my server live.
I have Static public IP Address 123.99.88.77 (Say) and also I have also registered a domain name say(live server23.com) the domain name providers have also given me the control panel with DNS management settings.
I have gateway 192.168.1.1

Now My questions are as follows?

1. First I want start with basic, I want to configure FTP Server which I want to bring online If I have public ip address as 123.99.88.77 then what IP should I give to my Linux machine 123.99.88.72 or 192.168.1.42 which class should I use here?

2. I am having DLINK 2750u ADSL router with wifi, now If i want to bring my FTP Server online then I will have to do port forwarding, now where this port forwarding can be done on GUI on Router or I will have to write down iptables on Linux machine for port forwarding?

3.Suppose I have two Linux machines on vmware on Windows 7 OS, can I bring these two machines online or form 2 node cluster among them?( I am curious to know this)

Please suggest me, I have searched Google but I could not find actual thing.

Thanks in advance!

The appropriate ones? We have no way of knowing what your IP addressing scheme is. As long as the public IP is configured for the correct interface and the ftp server is configured to use that interface/IP then you should be good to go. We can't help you on the network engineering side of things though.

You may try to google some stuff before asking a question. I just googled "2750u Forwarding" and found this step-by-step explanation of the process. I don't say that to be rude, but you're definitely going to find out that these sorts of questions aren't interesting to answer for people who don't know you personally, so doing the due diligence beforehand can save you from running into a bueller bueller bueller moment when you go to ask a question.

As for the firewall, it depends on whether you have configured port 21 to be open. If so then you should be fine.

Now this is an interesting question to answer. But you actually can do that since clustering happens at the platform level and so it exists beyond what vmware/windows would influence. The fact that we still have a single point of hardware failure cuts into the advantages of running High Availability. But you can still do it. As for HOW to do it, that's kind of an involved process that varies depending on what distribution you're using.

If you can install the clustering daemons then you can use luci/ricci to have a GUI to configure the cluster.conf file with. But it doesn't sound like you have much experience with Linux, at which point it may be worth your while to stick with a single node and just know that two VM nodes as part of an HA solution is technically possible. Once you've got your bearings on this stuff, then you can worry about setting up an HA cluster.

• Joel