Placing a config file

Hi all,
I need to place a custom configuration file for a script/program that will likely be sitting in /usr/sbin, but I am unsure of exactly where to place it. In RHEL was told the config file should be in /etc/sysconfig, but no such directory exists in Solaris. Will my config file simply sit in /etc ?
If so, would you happen to know if it is also acceptable to place the config file directly under /etc in RHEL (for consistency)?
TIA.

this is my personal opinion on this. thats not to say i'm right/wrong. again, just how i view it.

/usr/sbin is more for system binaries. sure you could put anything in there but i prefer to keep all my system binaries separate from my 3rd party binaries. i would put my own binaries more in /usr/local/bin. now placing your config file is again up to you but i would keep it with my binary or have a subfolder called include or conf or something. obviously, the binary needs to know where th config file is so ensure this happens.

it really turns into what works for you.

Thank you pupp. This script/program is acting as a system binary, so that's where I have been told to place it. As of now I am using /etc/sysconfig in RHEL and /etc in Solaris for the config files that go with it. The main question I have is if /etc is an OK place to put these in Solaris since /etc/sysconfig is being using in RHEL.

you can place it anywhere you like. /etc will work as long as the binary knows where the conf file is.

You shouldn't place your script in /usr/sbin and the configuration file(s) directly under /etc as these directories belongs to the OS.

One supported location would be /opt/<package name>/sbin for the script and /etc/opt/<package name> for the configuration file.

If your development isn't packaged or if you have no name for the whole, you might use /opt/local/sbin and /etc/opt/local.

Have a look at this recent thread for the rationale:

Yeah we ultimately decided the script and configs should go somewhere else (for now...). The /opt directory was where I had the stuff initially, before I was told to move it. It would seem that the "standards" are a bit varied and differ based on personal preference or company standards. For now, we have settled on a custom directory elsewhere. Thank you both for your input.
Cheers.