Ping script using Redhat and BAsh

Alright, I have being checking out various posting here trying to hack together something for a friend

Needed:

A script that can run in cron doing:
ping of several hosts and notifying via email when they are unavailable.

I am not going to post my non working messes (I am a basic scripter), but I have tried several approaches and just dont have the strong knowledge base to push variables around in a script.

Suggestions Please..

using: bash on redhat linux box

actually here is the latest script:
#!/bin/bsh
#################################
for file in `cat iplist.txt`
do
ping -c 1 -A $file | grep errors | wc -l
read tom
echo $tom
if [ "$tom" != 0 ]
then
mail -s"Test" exx@xx.com
else
mail -s"Worked" exx@xx.com
fi
done

OH how the heck do I get the mail program to just fire out the email? I know in solaris mailx will nicely shoot out the email...

Also my variations of this produce nice frustrating results...like the if then aint working right. Figure read is seen it as a string? At least that is my guess...

For starters, make sure that iplist.txt is in the correct directory. I assume it will always be in the same directory as the script? If not, add a path to the file name. Second, for the mail portion, try using sendmail as this is commonly installed on RedHat. To check the status of the ping command, use a variable to capture the status. Not sure what the return value is of that ping command, adjust the IF statement to match.

do
PING_TEST=0
PING_TEST=`ping -c 1 -A $file | grep errors | wc -l`
#read tom
#echo $tom
if [ $PING_TEST -ne 0 ]
#Use -ne (not equal) for integer comparison
then
sendmail -s"Test" exx@xx.com
else
sendmail -s"Worked" exx@xx.com
fi
done

Thanks, that worked much better. Getting both the positive and negative results I originally wanted. I have to work on the sendmail part (get the right switches).

Now here is another question

Lets say in my iplist.txt file I want to include a name for the ip address
ex: 192.168.60.5,router1

and I want to have the email subject to say

Router1 is down!

I am thinking that any of the text editors will help with this...(sed awk or what have you)

Using Oombera's suggestion on another thread....
echo "1024MB" | awk '{print substr($1,0,4)}' # print first four numbers / chars
echo "1024MB" | sed 's/[A-Za-z]//g' # removes all letters
x=${x%%[A-Za-z]
} # remove everything after (and including) any chars - Note this is specific to Korn Shell

setup your variables in you iplist.txt so that they are in a consistent format. Then, instead of using $FILE, use one of the above suggestions to get either the IP address or the actual name. You will of course have to make some modifications. The code above will remove the characters from the variables. You will need to remove numbers and dots to reverse this.

Do a google search on SendMail Flags to get correct formatting.

Or you could split the variable up right away and store both parts in separate variables:

do
ipAdd=`echo $file | awk -F, '{print $1}'
failMsg=`echo $file | awk -F, '{print $2}'
PING_TEST=0
PING_TEST=`ping -c 1 -A $ipAdd | grep errors | wc -l`
#read tom
#echo $tom
if [ $PING_TEST -ne 0 ]
#Use -ne (not equal) for integer comparison
then
sendmail -s"$failMsg is down!" exx@xx.com
else
sendmail -s"Worked" exx@xx.com
fi
done

doesnt work...the ipAdd variable isnt properly being populated.
I have tried checking the ' and " and no go...

Oh, shoot, I forgot to close the two lines with another `

ipAdd=`echo $file | awk -F, '{print $1}'`
failMsg=`echo $file | awk -F, '{print $2}'`

damn just realized that ` is a tick vs a quote...no wonder I was getting mixed results originally...DOH!
much better thanks!

Any thoughts on the mailer?

Hmm.. did you try using the mail command again? I don't know much about sendmail!

then
echo $failMsg | mail -s "$failMsg is down!" exx@xx.com
else
echo $failMsg | mail -s "Worked" exx@xx.com
fi
done

Some unices don't support the subject part though, so if it doesn't work for you, guess we'll have to find a way to use sendmail or something..

what ends up happening is mail goes into an interactive mode looking for text, I end up having to ctrl-d to get it to kick the mail up and out. When I figure it out, I will post it...

google & oombera
Thanks for all you help!

Well try it the way I posted it first.. feeding the echo command into the mail command.

AH wow, that worked, by feeding it the echo -> body of the email did the trick...NICE...

Again thanks!