Pick operating system ‐ Learning and Professional Networking

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong place...

As many of you know, the Pick Operating System was an unsolicited software offering by Richard Pick et al, back in the 60s. Many companies have adapted and upgraded this basic language in to a sprawling number of variations. The most recent being only distant relations to I'm thinking it's a bit like Latin... Dead apart from a few enthusiasts.

Fewer developers are training in it, simply because, in IT terms, it's an ancient language and moving people in to it is tricky. I've been tasked with is finding Pick Developers of varying flavours to staff an IBM Mainframe.

Please forgive my profound lack of knowledge on this, I've just been handed the assignment and I like to obtain a thorough overview before doing too much busy work.

My aims, here on the Unix Community, are to:

• Most importantly, I'd like to learn the most similar versions of Pick, to then know which developers would find the easiest journey transitioning to an IBM mainframe
  • Professionally network with Pick Developers
  • Understand career trajectories, potential/consequence of a move, salary tolerances in view of a potential move
  • Identify developers in Pick flavours who'd easily transition to IBM Mainframe
  • Identify skillsets of graduate to entry level people who may move to Pick as a short to medium term career move

While I'm actively researching, it makes a LOT of sense to ask someone who can share resources and insight in 90 seconds, rather than spend hours.
Thanks in advance for any research recommendations,

Welcome, not sure 'many' will know of this 'OS', but we live and learn.

Are you are recruiter ?, read the forum FAQ/guidelines. Suf

Search online for Pick Operating System - there are plenty of references/links available - including 'free' guides to the OS.

1 Like

Hi MunkeHoller,
Thanks for the input.
I'm a "sort of" recruiter.
If recruiters had snipers, I'd be one of them.
I'm attempting to educate myself and after that, I'm happy to advertise with your forum when the time comes.
I won't elaborate on what I'm looking for just yet, it'd likely break the rules.

But for the moment, am I okay to info gather?

...providing I get some responses?

@Ali-L , 'sniper'? (whatever that is attempting to allude to) or otherwise, I assume you're a recruiter, that said, I think you'll find somewhere like linkedIn a better starting point to field the majority of your bullet points (there are at least 2 PICK focused linkedIn groups).

If you have specific PICK OS specific technical questions then posting here may prompt a response. Personally I've never seen questions on this subject but that doesn't mean there's none.

As I previously mentioned, a search online returned plenty of links to PICK OS focused sites, you may have more success in seeking feedback from some of those.

rgds

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.