Physically identify hard disk.

Hi,

I have a failed hard disk in my Sun Fire V240. Unfortunately it does not show up in 'cfgadm -al' or in the format command so I cannot unconfigure it and illuminate the blue light on the front to identify it. Is there any way of iluminating the blue lights on the other disks so I can at least identify the faulty disk without 'unconfiguring' them?

There are 4 hard disks present in the machine - only three show up.

# cfgadm -al
Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition
c0 scsi-bus connected configured unknown
c0::dsk/c0t0d0 CD-ROM connected configured unknown
c1 scsi-bus connected configured unknown
c1::dsk/c1t0d0 disk connected configured unknown
c1::dsk/c1t2d0 disk connected configured unknown
c1::dsk/c1t3d0 disk connected configured unknown
c2 scsi-bus connected unconfigured unknown
usb0/1 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb0/2 unknown empty unconfigured ok

Thanks,

Sparcman

It seems that only controller c1 is being used for disks in the below output.

From the below c1t1d0 is missing. The "dmesg" output or /var/adm/messages should shed some light to confirm this.

cfgadm -fc unconfigure c1::dsk/c1t1d0 ( i seriously doubt this will work,since this is not showing up in cfgadm output)

To start the led blinking. ( Not all boxes support these , please check syntax too)

luxadm /dev/cxtxdx led_blink
luxadm /dev/cxtxdx led_off
luxadm /dev/cxtxdx led_on

---------- Post updated at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:12 PM ----------

one another hint which may be useful. ( Not technicall at all :slight_smile: )

Try "iostat -En" to identify the working disk serial number & try to match with the existing disks , if the serial number is displayed in the front of the disk you can identify it easily ( in our environment the serial number is pasted on the front as well as on top of the disk)

if c1t1d0 is your failed disk(confirmed), then plug it out. not necessary to run cfgadm . Make sure the disk is not in use (example, mirror of SVM etc).
After plug out, run devfsadm -Cv to clean up the device links.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. The system doesn't support the luxadm led_blink command unfortunately. I'll go by the serial numbers.

Thanks,

Sparcman