Permission Reset?

OSX 10.4.11 I installed an app. I am logged in as Admin. When I launch Limewire I get:

You do not have permission to open the application "xxxx".

How can I get around this?

I tried resetting permission on the terminal and I still get it.

I should presume the application you are refused access to is actually called "xxxx"?

You tried resetting permissions "on the terminal", or through using a terminal command on the offending app?

If a command issued from the terminal, what command "specifically."

Is this a managed machine in a business environment where a remote admin may have locked out access through an enterprise desktop management application for everyone wishing to use that app?

The app is Limewire, the computer was given to me from a school getting rid of older machines. It was netbooted at school but is now in my house.

I tried...

/sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
/sbin/mount -uaw [Enter]
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone [Enter]
reboot [Enter]

Got from here...

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

The school should have wiped the machine so you could start fresh with your own setup (after acquiring the OS install disks).

Changing permissions would generally include at least a "chmod" command, and that is not in the list of commands you provided.

The link points to folks trying to reset their root password, something you should not do unless you want to wreck things really fast.

You can do as much damage as an admin user, but it is generally a bit more tedious, thereby giving you time to think about the possible problems you could make for yourself.

Probably the easiest thing for you to do would be create an admin account (if you have not done so already) and then delete the LimeWire application and its preference files.
Then download and install the LimeWire application from macupdate.com, or versiontracker.com, or whatever...

Otherwise, you can try looking at the man page for the chmod command:
man chmod

in the terminal.