Perl - Programmers manual online?

I have never programmed in Perl (insert laughter, mock, etc. here ____) - so I need a sort of "Programming in Perl" covering the basics.
I now have two Perl books, one is a 5 volume Unix resource kit, the other is "Mastering algorithms with Perl" - none of them explains how to produce "hello, World" in the arguably weirdest language ... hmm .... no ...

So, as soon as get a tutorial that helps me take the first two steps, I have material enough to write practually anything in Perl.

A 100 page thingy should be enough, a reference manual perfectly adequate (I am a programmer, after all).

Any suggestions? I know that it is possible to write 'Perl' and press [Search], but I think I need an intelligent answer :slight_smile:

Atle

This page might help your request.

http://www.programmingtutorials.com/tutorial.asp?id=Perl

Thanks! That was ideal.
Now, I have no excuses more not learn this .. eh .. language :slight_smile:

A couple of years back, it was all about Tk/TCL, but now it seems Perl has taken over completely.

Atle

There are now six usefull und nice articles for beginners at:

(I myself have started again with perl [after nine years]:wink:

Thanks! This one looks really pro, starts off with control structure, whereas the others conventrated on data.

I am now already able to produce CGI scripts and stuff that I would have used Java for just two days ago.
You Perl hackers must think there is little justice in the fact that I got the 5 volume "Perl Resource Kit" containing Perl Module Reference, 1 & 2, Perl Utilities Guide and Perl Journal and CDROM for Xmas! I will now have to show that I was worth it, so I'll see you at CPAN :slight_smile:

Atle

Just go there an start with Part 1. You will see there the URLs I mean.
:wink:

I've already had a look around, and this is a great site.
You put me into section 6, I think ... the whole thing is now firmly placed in my bookmarks :slight_smile:

Atle

http://www.devshed.com - it has a cool intro to perl section
http://www.perlmonks.org - awesome resource thriving with pro's

dani++

Thanks, honorable Perl hackers :cool: !

I now have about 3 weeks of of studying to do, but I don't think I'll become proficient in Perl, since I am a mediocre shell-scripter anyway, I tend to write awkable or sedable things in C or even Java or Beta (!) - the worst I've done is probably write a [Reboot?Yes/No] in ProLog :slight_smile:

But I already see how a shell script could evolve into a full-fledged application, and I definitely see the value of filling the gap between csh and c/c++.
I think I will have great fun with this, so
let me give you something back ...

--- ICON --------------------------------------

At a bookstore there was a used book called
"The Icon programming language", by Ralph E. & Madge T. Griswold, priced ridiulously at a couple of E$.
A quick look at the back cover told me it was worth the price and more.

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/icon/index.htm

It is sort of "Perl meets Pascal" - not OO, but I guarantee you you don't need it.
ProLog, Lisp and an OO version of Icon are implemented on little more than an A4-page ...

her eis a program that takes search strings as arguments, and writes out all the matches, with the offset of the matched string:

mtc.icn:

procedure main(args)
while line := read() do
every i := 1 to *args do write(find(args[i],
line))
end

try it with some names

mtc john jim jenny fubar snafu bin laden

and then type some text:

I met john and jim last nite, it will write 7 and 16.

I wanted to go back and pick up the rest of the books, they were lying in a 'cheap second hand book' box, ideal Xmas presents for hacker friends, but they were all gone the day after.
Ther are no more cheap "Perl Resource Kit"s either.:rolleyes:

Atle :stuck_out_tongue:

I would suggest that you buy at least one book.

I prefer the "Programming Perl" book or whatever works for you. It helps to have one paper reference.

Good Luck!

My experience tells me that you're right.
I go to my favorite bookstore every second month or so, I'll keep a lookout for for the one you mention.

Atle

The Learning Perl by O'reilly is good and very clean to understand.

But if your looking for a beginners book that gives you more examples and thorough understanding - go for Beginning Perl Programming w/ Simon Cozins(WROX Pub.).

The Book is of June 2000 which makes it older then Learning Perl by O'reilly - but not that much has changed between the books.