Perl NFS file locking

Got a weird problem.

I have a user that inherited a data processing system written in Perl. The system consists of about 150 Perl scripts and about 40 Fortran executables.

The system had been working fine until recently, when I changed our file server configuration.

First the system configuration.

Current configuration:
The main servers run Solaris 10 x86 update 8, File servers run CentOS 6.2

Originally all the data files were on local filesystems but the volume of data has grown to where the need for separate file servers were required. As a short term solution until I received the new hardware I had all of the data on a loaner machine that was running Ubuntu 10.04LTS the data directories were exported using NFS, the system ran fine under this configuration.

I migrated everything to the CentOS fileservers. The data is exported using NFS and mounted on the Solaris servers.

Now the problem starts, The Perl scripts use alot of file locking and they all hang when trying to unlock a file. I am not a Perl programmer by any means and I have Googled for this and have found no solutions.

Can anyone help?

Look for flock and NFS, not perl and nfs.

this might be relevant.

Corona,

Thanks for the tip. I got it working finally, the Perl code was so old that it was not using the proper semantics to invoke fcntl type locking. Once that was fixed, and really suprising just one initializatin script that all of scripts called, everything works.

I am still puzzled about why when the Ubuntu machine was serving the files it worked and when I switch the having CentOS server the files it stopped working.

Maybe something to do with the CentOS machine using NFSv4 even though the Solaris machine was mounting the filesystem as version 3?