Perl: answering automatically to install questions

Hi everybody,

I have been looking for an answer to this issue both on google and on the forum, but I couldn't find anything. please help me :eek:

As part of an automated (in perl) install of Solaris 9, I would like to be able to answer automaticaly to the question the installer asks.
Example:

/> /cdrom/cdrom0/s0/Solaris_9/Tools/Installers/liveupgrade20
<Press ENTER to continue>
<--[21%]--[ENTER To Continue]--[n To Finish]--> n

Enter 'y' to accept the license agreement. Enter 'n' to decline the license
agreement and exit the install. Y

<Press ENTER to continue>

etc...

Here, I woud like to automatically answer via my perl script that is the following sequence: "enter" then "n" then "y" then "enter"

Is it possible in perl? Can I do it without using threads? Do I have to make a dedicated perl script running in the background that will detect the prompts and answer them? Or maybe a shell script could do it ??? :confused:

in summary: HELP ME PLEASE

Thanks !!!! :slight_smile:

So you have tried to use Expect and didn't work out? Or you wouldn't like to use it?

I have no experience with Expect but for questions like these the usual first response I frequently heard from the Perl people was "Expect".

That's also the answer I had from an other forum: use expect. I'll dig it monday when back to work :slight_smile: but it's probably what I'll have to do !

thanks