Performance tests

Lately one of our clients have been complaining of slowness. I really don't think its their pc's because all of them have had the slownes. I think its the Unix server we use (Solaris 8 Sparc).

Are there any ways I could check on the server with commands to see if its slower then usual

Thanks

define slowness.

i/o slowness
or is it laggy when your typeing?

you can use vmstat, iostat, netstat

Well, we use Unix on the backend for all the processing and it connects to the client via T1. I highly doubt it was the line because not alot of data is going back and forth, its just used because it more dedicated then other connections.

I doubt it was the pc's because all the pc's at the client site were slow, if it was one pc then I would blame a local pc or network problem.

I think it had to be maybe a router or switch problem or the server was overloaded and was running really slow.

Assumed your system not busy(command 'sar'). From my experience, it might be caused by setting half duplex of the connection. Check the router or switch setting first.

You may want to try attaching to the switch the server is on to see if you can reproduce the problem. If it runs fine, you can rule out the switch or server as the problem and look at the router, T1, clients as the problem. Good luck. Also, have you guys made any changes to the system around the same time this problem appeared?