Performance Problem - High CPU utilization

Hello everybody.

I have a problem with my AIX 5.3. Recently my unix shows a high cpu utilization with sar or topas.

I need to find what I have to do to solve this problem, in fact, I don't know what is my problem.

I had the same problem with another AIX 5.3 running the same application. The %sys and %user normally shows 45 (user) and 21 (sys) average. I don't know what happened, but the performance decreased and my %usr shows 21 and %sys 50. With a reboot the server came back with normal load and good performance. I don't want to reboot my other server without knowing my problem.

Please, help me to find what process is consuming too much %SYS (see attachments).

Thanks

You have idle CPU, so that would not be my guess. Can you check vmstat to see if your system is paging[ swapping ] ?

Regards, Kaps

The following is based on my experience with SCO, and may not have any significance, but:
Sometimes when users close terminal emulation sessions, or reboot Windows clients, without signing off the unix system, the telnet session lives on the host, without a client and for some reason consumes a large amount of cpu.
The way to discover this is to run 'ps -leaf |grep ttyp' and compare the output to 'who |grep ttyp' and see if there are unaccounted for sessions.
Then just kill the sessions for which there is no signed on user.