Performance Monitoring

Hi all,
I am planning to give a presentation on performance measure. I have decided to focus on the commands which are used to know the performance of the server. I have a idea of prstat,vmstat,netstat, and iostat. Could anybody suggest me any other commands which are used for perforamance monitoring in solaris. As I am new to solaris I am not sure on which to concentrate more. Pls help.

You can add "mpstat", "lockstat", "fsstat", "zpool iostat" and "kstat" to the list. The latter displays most of raw counters used by the remaining commands.

and of cource the swiss army knife : sar

maybe the SE toolkit available at Sunfreeware - Freeware Open Source Software for Sun Microsystem's Solaris

Thanks for your replies. In iostat i could find the following fields

disk name of the disk

r/s     reads per second

w/s     writes per second

Kr/s    kilobytes read per second

Kw/s    kilobytes written per second

wait    average number of transactions waiting for service \(Q length\)

actv    average number of transactions  actively  

being serviced \(removed  from  the

queue but not yet

completed\)

%w      percent of time there are transactions  waiting

for service \(queue non-empty\)

%b      percent of time the disk is busy  \(transactions

in progress\)

can somebody explain what is the svc_t - service time and q-length are they inter-related?
thanks

They are somewhat related. The service time (as svc_t) is the average time spent by the system to complete a single read or write operation.
These requests may be queued before being processed if the disk is busy processing other transactions. The queue length is the average number of transactions waiting there.

The man page will explain those.
UNIX man pages : iostat (8)

I'm afraid it doesn't, the reason why the OP asked for clarification IMHO.