performance monitoring

hi,
can any one tell me, is there is any way i can check the performance of my solaris 8 os on an Ent 3500. Other than top to check for the top most processes, how to make the calculations with vmstat, iostat, mpstat and nfsstat. Or is there any other tools that i can use?

cheers.

Besides the ones you mentioned, you can also use sar.

Other items can be found at Sun Big Admin Scripts.

Also check out Big Brother for server and services availability.

After that, it start costing $$$. BMC Patrol and products like it would be helpful but it matters what you are doing with it and how deep you want to go.

i was looking at only the tools available within the OS itself and not with the thrid party ones.. Any how...those ones also looks good...But can u tell me how to corelate the output of sar, vmstat, mpstat, iostat etc...Why is needing this is coz our company does not allow any third party tools other than what's listed in the standards document. So I can ask them to review the standards documents to allow some of the tools, if and only if I'm not able to get enough of the data from the native tools. Hope that makes things clear. Again, my os is Solaris 8. Glance with HP UX gives a good picture.. Is there some things similar to that..

Cheers.

You can use Xrkstat. Its a remote monitoring tool which displays vital statistics about the performance of the box. Multiple boxes can be monitored simultaneously. With this tool you can monitor CPU usage, network bandwidth usage, disk IO, virtual memory statistics, and processes for CPU and memory usage. In addition you can view the entire kernel statistics tree. This is the best way to monitor Sun Solaris boxes.

If this tool doesnt help, try to check this site: