Performance data, *nix

Hello,

I want to write a tool which fetches performance data from remote machines. Sounds easy? well there are some requirements:
No extra "client" software should be needed on the hosts, remote shell access (e.g. SSH) should be enough. -> I'm limited to a small amount of tools.
I want CPU, disk, memory and network data.
Monitoring should work on: Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX

So what I'm working on right now is to find out what tools can be used for that task, on which systems they are available, how does the man page and output look like .. since that differs on every platform. The result of this should be an "intersection" of tools and their measured values.

Here are tools I've found so far:

procps
vmstat
free
df (useful: -k -P -l, -P not available on solaris)
uptime

sysstat
sar
iostat (-c, -d, -x no on solaris, -t solaris only)
mpstat

net-tools
netstat (-i, -s not on solaris)

Now what do you think of the idea?
One of my big problems is that I don't have access to Solaris, AIX, HP-UX at the moment, so I could just look up man pages on google, maybe you can help me?

Thanks in advance,
regards

My advice would be to login into each machine, check what's installed, and then start writing the script. Then, you can wrap around a "case" for the respective OS. We don't know the versions of your OSes too.

I don't have access to machines running these systems (except linux). Right now I'm doing feasibility analysis so I need as much data as possible.
And I wouldnt wrap a case around each OS/version, I'd rather write a robust parser which can handle different output formats automatically as far as that's possible.

So if someone has access to one of those systems the output / man-pages of these commands would be very helpful.

You can easily gather such data by yourself, just have to spend 30 minutes. Use the following when googling : <man command os>, as in :
man df solaris - on this example the very first result is exactly what you need.
Also, some of the suggested commands may not be installed on the particular machine, so in any way to have to login and check, different versions of the installed software may also be significant.

google searches result in so much garbage.. :stuck_out_tongue:
in the meantime I got access to machines running some of the platforms mentioned in the first post... :slight_smile:

hmm, how can I get the total swap size in solaris?
and how can i get used, free and total swap in AIX?

see if this can be of help...

nice, thank you very much