Performance and paging problems

... a disk drive to be 100% busy?

hdisk0 100.0 1.3K 342.7 1.3K 22.0 PgspIn 651 % Noncomp 75.5
hdisk1 100.0 1.3K 320.2 1.2K 20.0 PgspOut 6 % Client 75.5

It's really slowing down performance on my system and I would like to know what is causing this.

A point in the right direction would be appreciated.

thanks.

Hi,
by the looks of what you have posted, your system is badly paging what is causing your performance issue.
Please check your memory consumption, using 'vmstat -I 5 5' and check your memory settings - especially minperm, maxperm, lru_file_repage and similar settings. I would bet dollars for donuts that your system is not tuned at all and that you are using way more memory than you physically have.

please use code tags and choose a more descriptive title of your thread

Kind regards
zxmaus

That "looks" like a two line cut and paste from a topas screen but I'm just guessing here because you gave so little information.

Anyway, I have nothing better to do than try and do your job for you so here goes.

If my guess is correct and this it a quick two line scrape from a topas screen then it looks like the system has seriously run out of memory and is paging its self to death.

Just a guess you understand because you have given so little information about the problem.

You have a few options:

Ask a reasonable question and back it up with a reasonable amount of information about the problem and the system.
Install more memory.
Reduce the load on the system.
Tune the memory management on the system.
Reboot in the hope some rouge process will stop using all the memory.
Move the paging space off of hdisk 0 and 1

Your question is a bit like:
It has gone dark, what is the problem?
It could be night time.
You may have had a power cut.
You may have gone blind.
Your light bulb might have blown.
You might have your head stuck up your ar....

You see what I mean?

HTH :wink: