Patreon Badges Now Available as BBCODE at UNIX.COM

Dear All,

We have a lot of amazing moderators and other very talented unix.com members who provide tireless top quality free technical support assistance to others. As a service to those long term unix.com members, I am making a new Patreon BBCODE badge available which can be posted in forum posts (from time to time) by the following tiers of UNIX.COM members:

1. Moderators
  2. VIP Members and UNIX.COM Patreon Supporters (Blue Level and Above)
  3. Future New Member Badge Category, TBD

For this new badge to work, members must have a Patreon account set up. For example, my new Patreon account for the forums is here:

https://www.patreon.com/neounix

The new BBCODE for this in-post Patreon badge can be used in our forums like so:

neounix

This simple means that when one of the three member categories above inserts their Patreon username in the BBCODE above, the results will be like this (click on the Patreon logo as an example just created for the forums):

[patreon neounix](https://www.patreon.com/neounix)

Also, will personally assist anyone who is in one of the three member categories above to set up their personal Patreon account if they need assistance.

Cheers and Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Tim,
I'm confused. Are you suggesting that UNIX.com members set up Patreon accounts and ask new members to pay us on Patreon if they want us to answer a question for them???

No.

I am suggesting that you can set up a Patreon account if you wish and people like me and others can be your patron if they / we choose to.

Do you understand the model at Patreon, Don?

The model is not about "asking for payments or money to answer questions.,.. that is totally the wrong / old / not modern tech Patreon thinking"

The model is based on patronage, admiration and sharing and caring. That is what a patronage system is.

For example, if Don Cragun had a Patreon account I would be your patron and would send you money each month because I admire your work; not as a transaction based payment like you seem to suggest in your reply.

Hope this helps.

PS:

I am a Patreon patron of Evan You, the inventor of Vue.js and so I send him around $10 a month to Evan You on Patreon because I admire his work on Vue.js.

I think if you go to my new Patreon page you can see that I am a sponsor of Evan You.

If you create a Patreon account I will also do the same for you, Don (and others).

It is based on gifting, sharing, caring and admiration... not transactions.

1 Like

I like the concept but to tired to go through in depth tonight, I may need some assistance later Tim, now I have to set my electrodes for my electrostimulation therapy, soon over, another 4 days to go and ... Yessssssss

Good thing. I've read some post asking for a way to donate every now and then in here, and this would be a perfect way to go. Two points to consider:

• are one off (non-periodic) donations possible?
  • can unix.com be the beneficiary in lieu of a single person?
2 Likes

Yes, all of this is possible; and we can address any issue as they arrive.

Also, I'm very pleased to announce our first Patreon patron sponsor for UNIX.COM for a Green Tier Patreon sponsor badge!

I send a "thank you" Patreon message and asked our new Patreon sponsor to let me know their UNIX.COM user name so I can assign their new badge.

Hopefully, the mystery will be revealed soon! haha

Wow! Very Cool!

Our First Patreon Sponsor at the Green Badge Tier. Thanks Xubuntu56!

This is so fun. Just posted this "Thank You" on Patreon.

Working hard on the next-gen unix.com user experience, it's really motivating to have our first Patreon!

Thanks again!!

Mobile View: