Patching zone

Hi everyone,

I have a container which includes 5 zones. I would like to patch only 2 of them with the latest recommended patch bundle.

1) Could it be done by installing Recommended Patch Cluster on those 2 zones? And after rebooting them?

2) May patching only those 2 zones affect the global zone or other zones? I remember them as all inheriting some main directories from the global zone.

3) Is it better to patch the global zone with all non-global zones? How to do that?

4) Is there anyone who has experienced some difficulties after patching a zone?

:eek: thanks for help...

patching zones is a really large issue... there was a good online course (cost free) sometime back on the sun website. don't know if it is still online...

Can you recall any specific keyword to search for that course or a site you knew to put me on the right course? :rolleyes: When I google such thing it turns lots of websites which has nothing to do with it... Thanks :b:

https://learning.sun.com/olc/tblocontainer/1179270477

1 Like

Why only two of them ? In any case, most if not all patches won't be applied as you have sparse zones.
The recommended way is to patch the global zone. This will automatically patch all of your native zones. Better also to create a new boot environment and patch it (live upgrade).

Well, the other zones are live, these two are tests for some other physical servers. Working on more stabilized patched zone will serve better environment for tests, yet this is granted by some rule to patch any server regularly. :rolleyes: thanks, boss!

You Live upgrade to patch your global zone and local zones. At most, you will only need about 10min downtime to reboot and test/check. If any failures, revert back to your active BE.