Patching on ZFS file-system

Hi,

I have Solaris-10 (Update-7). This is having ZFS file-system and 10 sparse-root zones are there. I want to install Solaris-10 recommended patch cluster on it, but not sure, how to go ahead with procedure. I want to patch one side of the mirror and keep intact another side safe in case of roll back is required. I believe, it should be done by Live Upgrade. Can somebody help me in definings steps ?

# zpool status rpool
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:
        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror      ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t1d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
# zpool list | wc -l
# zoneadm list | wc -l

You dont have to break the mirror, you can create new BE in the same pool.

what about the zone's root are they on a different pool??

Regards,
Vishal

Yes Vishal. rpool have / and /var.
And every zone have separate pool for him.

I'm pretty sure Boot Environments (BEs) are Solaris 11 feature. OP is running Solaris 10.

I know we can create BE in Solaris-10 as well, but not sure about command/steps. Still searching on net for them.
Vishal, do you have idea, how to go ahead with patching ?

The only way I know is Live Upgrade... Maybe this is what vishalaswani meant.

Yup I meant BE in terms of live upgrade.

We have a server which has zone roots in a separate pool and we did the patching through live upgrade in it, when we created the new BE it created a snapshot for each zone in the zonepool for that BE.

In your environment you have a pool for each zone, so after lucreate you will find a snapshot for each zone in its pool for the new BE [you can see that in zfs list where another zone root path will appear with BE name in it].

You can refer to "Exercise 11: Using Live Upgrade Patching with Solaris Zones" in the following link Solaris 10 Patching with Live Upgrade - Solaris - wikis.sun.com

Regards,
Vishal