patchadd command

# patchadd /Desktop/117837-08.jar
Validating patches...

Loading patches installed on the system...

Done!

Loading patches requested to install.

Done!

The following requested patches have packages not installed on the system
Package SPROcc from directory SPROcc in patch 117837-08 is not installed on the system. Changes for package SPROcc will not be applied to the system.

Checking patches that you specified for installation.

Done!

The following requested patches will not be installed because
the packages they patch are not installed on this system.

0 No Packages from patch 117837-08 are installed on the system.

No patches to install.
#

I'm trying to install the above patch as a pre-requisite to installing oracle on my solaris 10 but got the above error. pls can someone ditrect me on where i can get the package SPROcc indicated as above.

try this:

#cd /Desktop
# unpack-patches -r -q

and let me know how it goes

otherwise, try to uncompress the patch and use the patchadd command again

Try to install 117846-02 (or greater) first if it is not already installed.

"unpack-patches" only runs after an "setup-standard.sh" from EIS-DVD. also won't this command install signed patches (afaik).
his problem wasn't the installation of the patch. the application he tried to patch is not installed...

yes I wanted to check if the EIS dvd has been used.

but about the application, sometimes when i add a patch for a package that's not there, some error code return (error code 8), but the message he got is different.

how can we know if the application we're trying to patch is not there ?

I tried installing the above when i discovered that i need to install another required patch and this gave me the error as shown below

# patchadd ./118682-01
Validating patches...

Done!

Done!

Package SPROlang from directory SPROlang in patch 118682-01 is not installed on the system. Changes for package SPROlang will not be applied to the system.

Done!

0 No Packages from patch 118682-01 are installed on the system.

No patches to install.

pls can someone help

i recommend a knew solaris installation. use the install cluster "sunwcxall" and after that download and install the latest patchcluster. don't forget to choose all needed languages during installation.

Thanks pls is there no other way round this prob. other than a new installation

when i was installing this os i chose the option "Entire Solaris Software Group Plus OEM Support" so i believe this should have taken care of the above prob.

Did you try "jar xf 117837-08.jar" first , to perform the extracting..?

I suggest that too

1. # jar xf 117837-08.jar
  2. # cd 117837-08
  3. # patchadd -d .

why? he has no problems installing the patch! only the package he want's to patch is not installed...

I did just what you said and i got the same error as below

# ls -l
total 322
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root      154674 Dec 26 10:33 118682-01.jar
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         512 Dec 26 10:30 META-INF
# jar xf 118682-01.jar
# cd 118682-01
# patchadd -d .
Validating patches...

Done!

Done!

Package SPROlang from directory SPROlang in patch 118682-01 is not installed on the system. Changes for package SPROlang will not be applied to the system.

Done!

0 No Packages from patch 118682-01 are installed on the system.

No patches to install.

pls can someone advice on this pls

Thanks, DukeNuke2 for your contribution as you earlier stated is there no other way than doing a new installation

i don't know... if you've installed all packages and patched your system with the latest patch cluster there is nothing more that can be done...

I had suspicions because sometimes when I try to patch a package that's not installed sometimes I get a different message, that's why I wanted to confirm, but looks like he has to re-install

RE-installing is like a pain, if i will have to do this. pls can you tell me step by step on how to do the above so that i will not go into the same error again.

I will appreciate this, thanks

the patch you are trying to install is a "sun studio patch". i don't understand why you are trying to install a patch to a package that is NOT installed... you will face the same problem again and again and again unless you install the package. and this is an realy old package/patch (studio 10). sun studio 12 is the latest release...

Sorry to bother you, i think i am lacking unserstanding here. i need to install this patch because it is a pre-quisite to install oracle. pls see section 2.3 of
Preinstallation Tasks
once i install sun studio 12 are you saying that i will not need this package again.

have you tried to install oracle without the patch? if the package is not installed, you won't need the patch... just try it!

Thanks i will try and let you know the feed back. 'm grateful