patch update instructions

Hi All,

I need to update my solaris with a particular patch. When reading the instruction on the sun web site, I got this:

Installation Requirements:

Reboot immediately after installing this patch on an active boot environment to bring the system to a consistent state. An alternative may be specified in the Special Install Instructions.
Use Single User Mode (run level S) when installing this patch on an active boot environment. An alternative may be specified in the Special Install Instructions.

Do I need to install this on a single user mode or I don't need to?

Thanks in advance,
itik

is it a LU patch? would be easier to help if you tell us the patch number...

117350-54

What would be the risk on this if possible? It's almost five years since I don't have restoration with solaris 8 or 9?

Give me idea what's the best restoration for solaris 8/9 sparc.

Thank you in advance.

This seems to be a solaris 8 patch. yes, you'll need a downtime to perform the patch. Is your disks mirrored? If yes, you will need to detach the mirror b4 patching. First do a full backup of your system. Talk abt restoration only if its necessary. what's your current kernel level? should be no issues btw..

Every mirror should be unmirrored? What if the disk is a SAN?

Internal disks should be detached. no need for SAN. your OS and data filesystems should be unmirrored.

That is a Solaris 8 Kernel patch so be sure that you also instll the other required patches or your system may be unstable.

The other patches required are:

108528-29 108993-67 110910-03 117000-05 (or greater)

the best thing is to make a backup and install the full patch cluster for solaris 8. so you can be sure to meet all dependencies... and this should be done in single user mode. also i recommend to reboot the machine once before patching to be sure everything works as expected.

That would also be my advice.