Patch installation

Can any one let me know the complete steps to install patch on a production server like Sun Fire V440.

Is it a single patch or a patch cluster?

Both...

it was asked during an interview
and also what are the steps if after installing a patch server doesn't come up. Please help me out

Hi,

I would move the patch to temp and untar or unzip the file there. In the directory it creates, there will be a readme file. In that file at the end will be a mini how to. Use the command they use in that file.

If you need any more detail let me know, because I'm currently patching the Solaris server at work. I just wrote some how to for the other admins.

I hope this helps.

what if the server doesn't come up after patch and how to revert back to previous version and also how to do kernel patch update.

Are you there on any social networking sites so that i can interact with you more often as I am preparing for interview and hope it can help me in some way

This an interview for a Solaris admin job?
pkgadd adds packages
pkgrm removes packages
patchadd adds patchs

I would look at some man pages.

Most places want you to go into single user mode to apply patches but you don't have to. The zones need to be shut down before you apply kernel patches. Don't be afraid to say you don't know something.

if the patch doen't work you can remove it. If they use Live Update they can failover to the other disk. Before you do system updates you should perforce a full system backup. You can tell them you will try to backout the package and if that don't work restore for backup.

hope this helps.

thanks a lot.... much helpful.. is there any way to be in touch with you on a regular basis for some knowledge sharing...

You can private message me on this forum.