Past Time

Dear UNIX Folks,

I guess everyone of us like to know what sysadmin typically do during his free time.

Not what he/she likes as an hobbies.. but what activities does he/she often indulge in other than facing the monitor.

Maybe we can come up this a better stereo-typed for sysadmin.

I read VERITAS, SUN Blueprints, ORACLE Whitepaper when I am bored. Apart from that, I surf/read magazine to find nice food and romantic place for a date with my gf.

i have 2 views on the sterotypical advanced computer operator in general.

1) is the definition of dweeb/dork/bookworm/pasty white. (nothig wrong with any of these btw)

2) your avg joe that can have a life outside of the machine. someitmes is a bit sporty, sometimes a bit adventurious.

I am a mix of the two.

i enjoy raceing motorcycles, checkout cars, video games, irc, reading hangin out

the books i tend to read are usually religious/history based.

you know...

christianity
templars
2nd crusade
Delta
navy seals

stuff like that.

i can never seem to find enough time for my hobbies!

for a while i was into nitro rc cars, those are FUN!
i play a few instruments, like the guitar and piano.

also one of my BIGGEST (and most expensive) hobbies is working on my car. im swapping the engine in a few weeks, just waiting for a few more parts to be shipped.

i really want to learn how to surf, but i dont get the time to go do it.

Trials biking. (When my bike hasn't been stolen)
http://www.biketrials.com/intro/history.shtml

I used to be big-time into the Guitar - just don't find any time for it nowadays.

I'm also trying to spend more time with my family, and not be with the computers 24/7 - although when my daughters asleep I normally start coding into the night - I just can't help being geeky!

I suppose computing is my major hobby as well as a profession - I just enjoy the hell out of it. A good thing I suppose?!? Actually means I enjoy my job, which can't be bad.

Cheers
ZB

Well, i guess being root counts as being a sys. admin. :slight_smile:
Well, I read books on computers, i sleep (and dream of computers) and well... heck, Im rarely away from my computer. So I guess I really don't do anything else.... Jeez, this is sad :frowning:

I'm to the point where computing pretty much /is/ my only hobby. I used to be into football, but now pretty much all of my time is spent on the screen. To be more specific, I'm learning C, talking on aim/irc, listening to winamp, and experimenting with different Linux distros on a typical day.

I used to sit a lot in front of my computer, learning about unix and how to code c.

I also read a lot of books on computing, science fiction and fantasy.

On weekends i often go riding (yes, on horses) or i jam around with other musicians with my guitar or on the drums.

but sometimes the best is sitting in a cafe drinking coffee with nothing to do at all...

I am not really into UNIX outside of my job to be honest.

I spend allmost all my free time either up the gym or training, i train in kendo and grappling, and also do some scrapping with a couple of mates.

Basically i am into my martial arts and going to the gym!

Mark