password

can anyone point me to where i could get a program that would detect weak passwords for users. something that could run in the background and could be set to run whenever users passwords expire and they have to reset them to ensure security. also the password detector has to be able to detect at least 16 alpha numeric digits why you got me. kinda like a digital spend odometer that counts but constantly submits the new password to see if it works so it will have to submit the user name as well. hope its not impossible but it has to be written in c and c++ and in like a unix scr file. so when i wanted to run it periodcally i could just say ksh passworddetector.scr and it would run and submit passwords the the user name. hope its possible was asked for detector must produce something. maybe not those exact specifications but something close.

hey thanks again

Look for a program called "John the Ripper". It will attempt to crack your passwords based on any number of different schemes that you specify (wordlists, sequential word generation, etc.) Search on Google to find it.

For that purpose, i suggest you to check this URL:

You may try in here for John the Ripper:
http://www.openwall.com/john/
its having the latest Stable version of John the ripper and its source code for dev purposes. Supports many Unix Variant. :cool: