Password protect UNIX printers?

Is there a way to password protect a printer that is on a LAN network? Our security officer said our UNIX printers need to be password protected. Is this possible? I am running Solaris 7 and 8...

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions.

They want to password protect being able to connect to the hardware or password protect the data so only the receiving user can get the print?

Security wants to prevent users with no business using the printer, from telneting to the printer.

So you are looking for a way from an administration standpoint to keep someone from telneting to the printer and changing configurations?

You need to do that at the printer level by connecting via telnet or tip and set a password

If you are looking to password protect to keep someone from printing via a telnet connection that is different. You would want to manage that at the print server level.

OK Experts, I still need help. Thanks to Mizzgail I am on the right track but now I need to figure out how to do what Mizzgail suggested.

I logged on as root and I pinged the printer and the response was that the printer was alive. However, I then tried to telnet to the printer and I was not allowed to. The error was the following:

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: connection refused

I could not rlogin either.

Bottom line is I still can issue a password for the printers on my network. I am running Solaris 7 and Solaris 8...

Any suggestion will help thanks...