passwd -s

Hi,
I've a problem regarding understanding of result of passwd -s command.

> passwd -s
abc  PS    05/24/12    0  441

I'm not a super user. But i need to write a simple code for checking password expiry and send an email to the team id. Is there any other command or way to achieve this? Requesting help in this regard.

---------- Post updated at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:16 PM ----------

Hi, Got the info about passwd -s output
in the above eg.

abc=userid; PS=passworded; 05/24/12=date on which passwd was last changed; 0=minimum number of days between password changes; 441=maximum number of days the password is valid for the name

Pls let me know if i'm wrong.

The best for you is to look at the man pages... since it seems there are variations between the diverse OS implementation ( just looked at HP-UX and AIX...)

man pages didn't give correct info of each of fields displayed for passwd -s ouput. Could anyone please guide in making a script for password aging with this output.

You haven't even told us your system yet, even though we mentioned there's differences between them.

Hello,
I have Solaris and RHEL at my site.

This works for solaris

passwd -s username

This works for RHEL

passwd -S username

I hope this helps

sorry for delay. i'm working on HP-UX B.11.23

As a non-root user are you trying to write a script which only applies to the current logged-in user? As a non-root user you will be stopped from interrogating other users.
As root user, I find the logins command much more useful than passwd for password expiry details. Notably logins -xto which gives output which is easy to parse in a script. Beware of the American format dates if you are a UK user.