pass an xpdf display from red hat server to windows ssh workstation

I have a UniVerse database running on a Red Hat EL3 server. If I am on the server console my software can call xpdf giving the name of a target file and it displays very nicely on the console. I have not been able to figure out how to get the display to happen on any of the Windows XP workstations. Everyone logs in using ssh since our telnet server was so subject to attempted hacks. I have tried to use the X11 destination parameter, which I may not understand from the man pages. I am not an OS expert; I hope someone can point me in the right direction or let me know if this is just not possible.

What tool do you use to connect from Windows to the server? PuTTY?

1 Like

Yes bartus11, most of the users connect with putty. I have one user connecting with a different piece of software the name of which I cannot recall. (I work at this customer 1 or 2 days per week.)

OK. So to make it work with PuTTY, you have to install X server for windows first. I recommend Xming (Xming X Server for Windows | Download Xming X Server for Windows software for free at SourceForge.net). Next, you have to run the Xming executable (it will start in background, with an icon in the taskbar). After that you have to connect to the server with "X11 forwarding" enabled. In PuTTY it is done by going to "Connections->SSH->X11 and checking the "Enable X11 forwarding" box. It has to be done after specifying the hostname or IP in main PuTTY window, but before clicking "Open". After you do that, you can click "Open". To test if the X11 forwarding is working, run some simple X application like /usr/bin/xclock .

1 Like

Thank you very much. I would have hacked around for many hours and much of my customer's money without looking on the "other end" for the answer. I appreciate your experience and response. I'll be at the customer's tomorrow, (5/23), and will follow your advice. Dale

I installed Xming on one of the putty workstation and configured putty for x forwarding and everything worked just as described in the vacation brochure. Again, I greatly appreciate your assistance in making my customer think I know what I'm doing. Thanks again. Dale.