Parsing a command line parameter in script

I have a simple script that builds a complex program call which passes a number of parameters to the program. I'm trying to enhance the script to include the value of the command line parameter in the name of a file being created. The problem I'm having is that the parameter may include a forward slash (/) which is not valid in filenames. Ideally I would like to replace any slashes with underscores. My script is called "sasi" and it will require a parameter which may contain 0 to n slashes. The first part of the parameter should be an 8-character string. If changing the slashes is too complicated, I'd be happy with capturing just the first 8 characters. I've been trying to use the 'cut' function to strip off the first 8, but it's not working. 'cut' may not be the best approach, but I think it will do the job if I get the syntax correct. However, I'm open to suggestions for better methods. The script begins like this:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
#
# UNIX script to initiate interactive SAS session,
# log and lst files are saved as "session_mmddhhmn"
# in the lstsave and logsave directories
#
log_mo=`date | cut -c5-7`
log_da=`date | cut -c9,10`
log_dw=`date | cut -c1-3`
log_hr=`date | cut -c12,13`
log_mn=`date | cut -c15,16`
log_sc=`date | cut -c18,19`
log_zn=`date | cut -c21-23`
log_yr=`date | cut -c25-28`

eval 'parm=\${1} | cut -c1-8'
echo &parm

When I try to run it, I get the message "parm: not found". Any assistance would be most appreciated.

could this be caused by the &parm in the last line? It should be $parm.

At the first glance, I don't believe what you are trying is going to work. But let's take 1 step at a time. :slight_smile: Let me know once you have corrected the above issue.

Well, the & was the cause of the error, apparently. However, changing that did not produce the desired result. What do you recommend as step 2?

To have the string before the first slash:

mOut=$(echo ${1} | cut -d'/' -f1)
1 Like

@shell_life, thanks!! That was exactly what I had in mind.

Save yourself a bunch of overhead by calling date once:

#!/bin/ksh

# save date output in a variable.
todaysdate=$(date)

# Parse the elements into their own variables.
print $todaysdate|read dw mo da time zn yr

print $dw $mo $da $time $zn $yr

# If you really need the time elements split out:
OLDIFS=$IFS
IFS=:
print $time|read hr mn sc
IFS=$OLDIFS

print $hr $mn $sc

The read command will parse on the Input Field Seperator.

Instead of:

$OLDIFS=$IFS

use:

OLDIFS=$IFS

Yeah I noticed that and corrected it already. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, Gary_w. The end result of the date exercise is to concatenate the fields into a date/time stamp of the form "Aug17_1445". Assuming that will work with your code, I'll give it a try.

---------- Post updated at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:47 PM ----------

gary_w, that's pretty slick, but when I concatenate the time fields I get spaces in between the values. Is there a trim function that would clear that up? Also, even though I'm only calling for $hr and $mn, I'm getting seconds as well. The resulting string looks like: Aug17_14 45 30. The old way put it out as Aug17_1445. The only problem I have with it is when the day is less than 2 digits. Then it comes out as Aug 7_1445. It would be nice to clean that up while I'm making adjustments.

Please note this improved example. Using a ksh feature of setting the IFS for a read right before the read command itself, one does not have to save the old IFS and restore it: I just now learned this so thanks!!!

#!/bin/ksh

# save date output in a variable.
todaysdate=$(date)

# Parse the elements into their own variables.
print $todaysdate|read dw mo da time zn yr

print "[$dw][$mo][$da][$time][$zn][$yr]"
# If you really need the time elements split out:
print $time | IFS=":" read hr mn sc

print "[$hr][$mn][$sc]"

timestamp="${mo}${da}_${hr}${mn}"

print $timestamp

Output:

$ timetest
[Wed][Aug][17][16:06:13][EDT][2011]
[16][06][13]
Aug17_1606
$

Note: I believe my previous example had spaces in the time field as the entire $time field ended up in $hr. It didn't parse on the IFS of ":". I believe it is because in the pipe the read actually runs in a subshell that doesn't know about the IFS changing. I could be wrong (I was wrong once before). At any rate doing it the improved way gets rid of that problem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It works like a charm. Thanks a bunch.

Simplify even more by eliminating having to parse the time separately. Format the date command like this:

date '+%a %b %e %H %M %S %Z %Y'

Ouput:

Thu Aug 18 09 20 20 EDT 2011

and change the read command as appropriate.

---------- Post updated at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:25 AM ----------

---------- Post updated at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:43 PM ----------

Doh! The simplest way of all:

timestamp=$(date '+%b%e_%H%M')

$ echo $timestamp
Aug18_1241
$

Ok, I'm done. :slight_smile:

Gary