Parse log files

Hi all,

We are having a sample log like

test.log:2015.03.17 06:16:24 >> ABC.generateMethod() MethodAException while processing Request! DataForm: Header ---  dtd: template.dtd, titleName: berger, requestId: 1503170032131, documentName: invoice123, hostName: acme.net, userName: userABC -- Media ---  mediaType: XML, serverName: ABCServer1 -- data section --- ...

We would like to create a bash script that selects lines having documentName string and for each line print out values for: titleName, documentName and serverName

Please show us explicitly the output you want to generate from this line in your log file.

What operating system are you using?

What shell are you using?

What have you tried to solve this problem on your own?

Hi Don,

The output desired would be

titleName: berger
documentName: invoice123
serverName: ABCServer1

The code we used to start selecting lines from the log:

#!/bin/bash
fname = test.log
pattern = documentName
if [ -f "$fname" ]
then
    result=$(grep -i "$pattern" "$fname")
    echo "$result"
fi

You could try something like:

#!/bin/bash
awk -F', | -{2,3} {1,2}' '
/documentName:/ {
	for(i = 1; i <= NF; i++)
		if($i ~ /^titleName:/)		tn = $i
		else if($i ~ /^documentName:/)	dc = $i
		else if($i ~ /^serverName:/)	sn = $i
	printf("%s\n%s\n%s\n", tn, dc, sn)
}' logfile

which, with your sample log file produces the output:

You didn't answer my question about what OS you're using. If you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk .

Try also

awk     'BEGIN                  {n=split("titleName documentName serverName", SEAR)}
         /documentName/         {for (i=1; i<=n; i++)   {match ($0, SEAR": [^, ]*")
                                                         print substr($0, RSTART, RLENGTH)}
                                }
        ' file

Thanks, guys! Both worked fine.

---------- Post updated at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:29 AM ----------

One more thing I just realized, for retrieving also the information about the file and timestamp, like:

test.log:2015.03.17 06:16:24

how can I modify the script? - it is a Linux Box

I'd propose we leave this up to you, as an exercise... you may want to print out $1 in awk .

Hi Rudi,

That was the obvious choice, you are right. But in this case we need to stick to the content itself, not to the file variable.
What was requested is that also the file+timestamp information (before >>) is added.

Regards,
Andrei

An awk $1 is not the same as a script (bash, ksh, csh...) $1 .
While $1 is a variable within all scripts, $1 is the first field of the currently parsed inputline.

hth

Hi sea,
Just so we don't confuse tandrei too much, I think you have a typo above. In awk , $1 is the first field of the current input line; not the first column in the output.

With RudiC's script, tandrei will probably need to look at $1 and $2 (or use a different substr(...) after matching the file and timestamp terminator ( > )). With my script, $1 will be sufficient, but FS ERE will need to be updated to add >> as another field separator.

...lost in translation... post updated