PAM password change failed, pam error 20

Hi,

I use a software which can create account on many system or application.

One of resource which is managed by this soft his a server SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64). patch level 3.

This application which is an IBM application use ssh to launch command to create account in context defined in it.

I have some problem to manage this server and the application display an error of kind Can not set the password useradd fail.

I have displaye the log /var/log/messages that you will find bottom :

In this log if i understood, the application create the account in three action :
first ssh to create the account which is succeeded
second ssh to set the password, but it seemes there is a problem with pam module
third ssh to delete the account, because the application cannot change the passwd.

I have some difficulties to know where the problem is exactly met, perhaps you could help me.

I'm sorry for my english but it's not my first language.

Best regards

Did you try ssh -t and ssh -tt to give it a terminal, so your results will match interactive ones? Do you set the environment like .profile in your ssh session or script?

Hi,

Thanks for your help.
The problem is, i haven't the possibility to modify or see how it's implement on the IBM application.

I can only define the user and permission to manage account on the server and define a service about how connect and parameter for an account.

A lot of scripts that want to pass a password are stymied by programs that read the tty for the password, not stdin. Sometimes you need an expect or ssh session to create a terminal from a daemon script with no tty, either on the local system or the remote system. However, if you have no contol over the ssh script or the script it calls, then you are stuck.