Pacman not functioning in Arch

Currently in a fresh install of arch linux and I have been trying to install some stuff with pacman. Every operation returns multiple errors such as no address record when using -Sy and unable to retrieve file when trying to install something. I have tried so many different configurations of pacman.conf and pacman.d/mirrors and none have worked. What should it look like, or how should I fix it? Currently running in virtualbox ose.

Seeing as how I probably did not give enough detail for anything to be done, could any one direct me to a page instructing pacman best practices and or configuration?

The "no address record" error you've specified is interesting. Are you sure that the network has been correctly configured? What's the NIC setting in VirtualBox, what are the network settings in /etc/rc.conf (or /etc/network.d/* if you're using netcfg), what's in /etc/resolv.conf ?

Here is the rc.conf file(only the uncommented parts):

LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8"
DAEMON_LOCALE="no"
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
TIMEZONE="America/Chicago"
KEYMAP="us"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"
MODULES=()
UDEV_TIMEOUT=30
USEDMRAID="no"
USEBTRFS="no"
USELVM="no"
HOSTNAME="myhost"
interface=
address=
netmask=
broadcast=
gateway=
NETWORK_PERSIST="no"
DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng network netfs crond)

This is resolv.conf

#
#/etc/resolv.conf
#
#search <yourdomain.tld>
#nameserver<ip>
# End of file

Well, there's your problem. Your network isn't defined, so the machine can't connect to anywhere. And even if it could, your resolv.conf is empty, so it wouldn't know about any DNS servers for name resolution.

If a dynamic address is enough, set the entries in rc.conf like this:

interface="eth0"
address=
netmask=
broadcast=
gateway=

Run /etc/rc.d/network restart , and try a ping to 8.8.8.8. If that works, try a ping to any URL you'd like.

More information here.

1 Like

Yes, thank you. Worked very well. It makes sense, but I am not entirely familiar with network configuration in linux.