Packages installations on my servor

Hello everybody,

I'd like to install several important packages on my servor like for instance, man pages package..
I found a .tar.gz package of man pages. So, after to do "gtar zxvf name_of_file.tar.gz" I can access on the folder "name_of_file" (by cd name_of_file). Then, I read on my readme text file, I have to do

* make
* make install

But when I did it, it didn't work :

mkdir not_installed
mkdir: Failed to make directory "not_installed"; File exists
make: [screen] Error 2 (ignored)
for i in man?/*; do \
if [ /usr/share/man/"$i" -nt "$i" ]; then \
cmp -s /usr/share/man/"$i" "$i" > /dev/null 2>&1; \
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then mv "$i" not_installed; fi; \
fi; \
done
/bin/sh: test: unknown operator -nt
make: *** [screen] Error 1

I have a similary problem with the librairie date :: calc from Perl... After reading the instructions, I did perl Makefile.PL, it seems working but when I did make, the following error appears :

cc -c -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO -xO3 -xspace -xildoff -DVERSION=\"5.2\" -DXS_VERSION=\"5.2\" -KPIC "-I/usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/sun4-solaris-64int/CORE" Calc.c
/bin/sh: cc: not found
make: *** [Calc.o] Error 1

I've installed before the following package "libgcc-3.4.6-sol10-sparc-local" et "gcc-3.4.6-sol10-sparc-local"...

Thank you a lot for all informations you could give me. :slight_smile:

George

When compiling things you could run in to all kind of problems that can take much time to solve if your not experienced with compiling things on Solaris.

Its much easier to try and download what you want in pkg format (Suns package format)

You could take a look at www.sunfreeware,com for binary packages.

you can install these packages with the pkgadd command.

I agree with you... I installed my previous packages on this site for binary packages.
Unfortunatly, the man pages package is not available on this site.. :frowning: I did a lot of search to find One file! in tar.gz... I have no choice... Maybe someone knows an other site where I can find the man pages package?? :o

The man pages are there, in /usr/local/man, and you need to add /usr/local/bin to your path.

When I installed my servor, the man pages was not installed... So the directory /usr/local/man is empty...
I need to find this package by an other way.
By the way, I add /usr/local/bin to my path... Thank you for your help. :wink: