Package depend file

Hi,

The general syntax of depend file is:
Tag Name Description
<arch> version

I want to define a dependency which should apply for a particular version of package and higher.
eg. Version of "A" package should be 6.0 or higher

Giving the version in depend file, sticks to that particular version itself and doesn't consider higher versions.
How can i accomplish this?
Thanks

I'd suggest leaving the version out of the depend and add a check to your preinstall instead, just be careful you don't get tripped up by a lock on the package database preventing you reading the information you need.

Never come across that lock.

When does that happen?

So sorry for the lengthy delay in responding, I've been on the move and not checking in as often as I'd like to.

On versions of Solaris where I've tried this (2.6 and 8 only) the Solaris package database could not handle multiple operations at once. If I attempted to install two packages at the same time, one would wait for the other to finish before starting.
It's purely anecdotal evidence and only observed on older Solaris versions but I would be surprised if it didn't do it on recent Solaris instances also.

The easiest way to find out and see for yourself is to start a package install or remove that pauses for input along the way, then start another operation and see what it does.

U could find all the dependency while downloading in sunfreeware.com it self.

I believe the O/P is trying to define a dependancy in a new package rather than discover one from an existing package :slight_smile:

Yes,

I want to give a new dependency in a package i am creating.

Could trace the lock phenomenon.
Thanks Smiling :slight_smile: