Output from prtvtoc

Hi All,

when i run the command prtvtoc the output shows

38309 cylinders
38307 accessible cylinders

as per my undertanding the 1st cylinder is used for storing the vtoc , how about the second cylinder ? where its used and for what purpose?

Thanks

is it x86 or sparc?

Sparc ultra 10 workstation

hmmm, this should be an ide drive. maybe the lost cylinder is in the layout of the ide disk. or maybe the are errors on the disk and the cylinder is "blacklisted".

how do i find if its ide or scsi
i run the

and got below as output

its mean its ide ? correct ?

You can find with command :
# cfgadm -al

Those extra 2 cylinders are reserved for "revectoring" and maybe for "diskware". Revectoring is when theres a bad spot of the disk a sector becomes unusable. The drive can reallocate a "spare". Disk drives have little computers in them and their software might be firmware in a chip, or it might be stored on the disk. Disk drive engineers actually call this "diskware".

The vtoc uses a user accessible cylinder. Think about that... If it was wasn't user accessible, prtvtoc could not display it.

Hi All,

Thanks for reply, however the question is still open!

I tried the same on my production environment where we got scsi disk , still in the output I am getting access cylinder number which is 2 less then the cylinder number.

Kindly put some light .

Thanks in anticipation

I have shed all of the light that I have. I have explained what those two extra cylinders are used for. I don't know what else to say.

And anyway, why bothering for 2 cylinders (~10MB) when you have 14087 (~71GB) = 99.9858% available ...