OSX asks password but i don't use a password!!

When i try to install some software OSX asks for a password but i don't use a password at all. Somebody knows a answer please???

asta

in unix systems there is allways a password. when you first start your osx you are asked for a password... thats it.

If I start up OSX there's the field with my name and i let the passwordfield blank, like i allways do, my password is a blank field than. But i checked: if i give myself a password some software denies the password when i try to install them either. :(:frowning:

what software are you tryin to install?

I noticed that under Tiger (10.4.x) you could use a password-less admin account and just leave the auth field blank for things like installs while logged in.

Leopard (10.5.x) is not so forgiving of blank passwords for admin auth.

Set a password. You really should have a password. It's just good practice. Make it a password you can't easily guess, but is memorable to you. A famous (to me) misspelling works for me. Dictionary attacks fail with misspellings. :wink:

If software requesting a password fails, even though you have typed in your password correctly, your user account would have to be a "regular user" account, not admin. The only other possibility is a disallowed character in the password. I would avoid using "Option" characters.