Oracle and Unix

Hi I am having trouble with a script to export individual schemas to tape from an oracle database. Basicaly I need to export each shema through a pipe with compression and store each shema name in a file with the relevant tape marker.

Hi,

have you considered doing an export to a named pipe on disk for all schemas and then tar to tape?

This will be quicker from the Database point of view.

Although quicker we don't have physical disk space to accomadate one schema so I need to use a pipe with inline compression to the tape which I can do it is just writing a record of the file makers on the tape so I can skip to the exact schema that needs importing. I need to make this a dynamic script by queriering the dba_objects table in oracle and exporting only those users with objects in their schema and writing each dump to tape sequentialy.

Hi guys I really dont know how large you database is or what kind of schema you're trying to export in fact I dont know what kind of error UNIX sends to you. But from my point of view is quite possible be a swap or memory space problem, I think if you dont have enough disk space is possible you dont have enough swap or 'RAM' as you want to name it. At first check the schema size and then your swap, memory and so on.

cheers