Operating System Programming

I am new in Kernel programming....i want to know how kernel is implemented.To this i have downloaded minix 3 kernel but i do not know where to start my study of kernel programming...please tell me from where to start understanding the code and how to run kernel in windows 7 or red hat.

A kernel is not just another program that runs inside Windows. It's its own operating system, independent of Windows. You'd need something like virtualbox to boot it and pretend to have virtual disks and I/O and all that.

---------- Post updated at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:55 AM ----------

There's still something missing from the equation, anyway -- a bootloader. That's a tiny stub of code that loads on boot, then loads the operating system for you. minix is just the operating system part, and still needs a bootloader. You might examine the code of lilo to see how a bootloader works.

The logical first step would be the book mentioned in the documentation section at http://www.minix3.org/.

Regards,
Alister

Yes i know that it requires virtual machine software or i can directly install on my machine but the problem is that i want to understand the coding of the micro kernel not how to install on system or windows.Please give me some suggestions and tell me other micro kernel name through which i can start understand the coding and programming of micro kernel.