OpenStack Install - Design

Hi All,

I'm looking to do my first OpenStack install on a single server, and I'm looking for some advice on what would be the best plan of attack.
Does anyone have experience with virtualization in general, I'm really trying to find out what will be the best way to get the most out of my limited server specs.

I have a new "server" which I build with an i-5 skylake, 16gb of RAM, 2 SSD's for boot area / small storage and a 2TB for VM storage.

So my setup is not a high performance beast but I think that it should be adequate for what I'm looking for. (Feedback please!)

The initial design plans I have are Fedora Server -> Ovirt Hyper-V -> Openstack VM's set to proper spec using shared resource over provisioning. Maybe use Centos Minimal as the base VM OS.

2nd option, Ubuntu Server (O.S doesn't matter, but I found a good tutorial using Ubuntu for this method) -> Openstack all on single server directly on O.S.

3rd option, vSphere ESX host -> OpenStack VM's either the one Ubuntu install -or- multiple VM's.

This is primarily a learning environment, but I'm trying to avoid a management nightmare. The VM's I will create using Openstack are going to be development boxes, so I'll have multiple Linux VM's and maybe one Windows VM.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions and advice! :slight_smile: