open unix file in windows

Hi,

I have a text file in unix.
i am trying to give a link in Internet explorer to that file.
If i click on the link in Internet Explorer page then it should display the text from file in unix.
is that anyway possible....

i am trying it for past 2 days....if i find a way out i will post....but before that anybody figures out how to do it....plssssss... help me :confused: :confused:

g.

You need to describe your network architecture a little more....

Do you have a webserver (i.e. Apache, etc) running on your UNIX machine? Which flavour of UNIX are you running? Also; is this intended for use as a true internet site (i.e. accessible externally of your LAN), or is it just an intranet site (i.e. accessible from within your LAN only)? Are you serving web pages from the UNIX box, or do you serve from a Windows machine (I ask this as you mention I.E.).

For example - a possible scenario - say I have a Windows host (192.168.1.1) and a Linux host (192.168.1.2). The Windows host is running IIS (the Intranet site is running on this machine), and the Linux host is running Apache. Then, I can place the text file into the Apache DocumentRoot directory (/srv/www/htdocs, whatever), and then place the link to the file thusly...

<a href="http://192.168.1.2/mytextfile.txt">blah</a>

If you are hosting the web pages from the UNIX machine that the text file is on, then it's as easy as linking to the text file using a path such as

<a href="/path/under/htdocs/to/file/mytextfile.txt">blah</a>

Again, you need to provide a lot more information about your network, how you serve your webpages, and where the text file is located on the UNIX machine. This is all speculative.....

Cheers
ZB

Thank you soooo much for the reply......I have added my answers in red.....
can u understand the scenario now...or u want more info....

g.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to describe your network architecture a little more....

Do you have a webserver (i.e. Apache, etc) running on your UNIX machine? yesWhich flavour of UNIX are you running? it says HP Dome...i am not able to find outAlso; is this intended for use as a true internet site (i.e. accessible externally of your LAN), or is it just an intranet site (i.e. accessible from within your LAN only)? only used in intranet...not shared for internetAre you serving web pages from the UNIX box, or do you serve from a Windows machine (I ask this as you mention I.E.).my existing web pages are hosted from windows machine

For example - a possible scenario - say I have a Windows host (192.168.1.1) and a Linux host (192.168.1.2). The Windows host is running IIS (the Intranet site is running on this machine), and the Linux host is running Apache. Then, I can place the text file into the Apache DocumentRoot directory (/srv/www/htdocs, whatever), and then place the link to the file thusly...

<a href="http://192.168.1.2/mytextfile.txt">blah</a>

If you are hosting the web pages from the UNIX machine that the text file is on, then it's as easy as linking to the text file using a path such as

<a href="/path/under/htdocs/to/file/mytextfile.txt">blah</a>

Again, you need to provide a lot more information about your network, how you serve your webpages, and where the text file is located on the UNIX machine. This is all speculative.....

Cheers
ZB

Hey, i forgot to post the solution.

i installed tomcat and CGI.

then i used CGI coding to read and display the file in the browser.

wow !! :slight_smile:

g.